Ideas/Recommendations for Spring Break dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are the dives? like coz or no.low current and shallow options? Any dive operator recommendations or places to stay?

Sorry. We weren't on a dive trip. I don't believe the diving is on par with Coz but it is supposed to be relatively benign for the most part and there are things to see, certainly with the underwater statues park. It just struck me that your daughter might really enjoy it whilst also a great place for wife and daughter too.

Fly into Cancun, transfer to ferry port to Isla. Even the ferry ride is kinda fun! I would think especially so for a kid.

My friend is a diver though I don't know how much diving she does when her kids are with her. They love it there and she's been there a number of times on her own when the ex has the kids. She's been diving a few places for comparison, like Roatan a number of times, Belize and a couple other I can't recall. So she'd be able to say.

Would you like me to get the scoop?

Oh by way, the hotel I've pointed to, is a short walk from the big beach on the island. There's also a nice little beach out front but one does need to watch sea conditions for safety. But the pool is fun.

Great island for golf carting around too.

Where was this? I would like to avoid them. I am capable of monitoring depth without a private guide.

This is my preference but the Delta cartel kills it for me out of ATL. I'd be in for over 4 grand just to get there on any carrier out of ATL. The diving is cheaper there but after I add it up I cant justify 4 grand for flights. For that price I would head to Asia, but Spring break does not leave enough time for that.
I spoke with a dive travel agency yesterday and today. It was specifically Cozumel, but I was told it was the same for all operations that have a dive master in the water with the main dive group. Only place we have ever dove without someone leading the boat dive was Cayman.

I had the same reaction, I have plenty of experience and will monitor my kid.

Not sure how true it is for other destinations but something to ask about when you do find a location just so there are no surprises. Part of the reason I want to go to Bonaire is mostly shore diving, airfare is just pricey.

Well looks like MUSA restricts age till 12 and above. That hotel looks nice though. Ill dig around and see what other operators say.

:eek: Oh darn. But the girls can snorkel it at least. Bummer

Wait, isn't your daughter certified? Won't they take her with you as buddy?

I'm just trying to confirm that the age restriction isn't only relative to non-certified kids.

Belize maybe?

That could get pricey though if flying from mainland.

My other thought was Grenada. It has an underwater statue park too. Not sure about airfare but beautiful place!

Would you like me to get the scoop?

Sure If you could

Wait, isn't your daughter certified? Won't they take her with you as buddy?

I'm just trying to confirm that the age restriction isn't only relative to non-certified kids.

When I went through the two tank dive link on that page it says this at the bottom:

Restrictions: Pregnant women cannot perform this activity, 12 years old is the minimum age, 18-year youngsters or less must be accompanied by an adult, people with respiratory problems are not allowed to perform this activity and people that not knowing how to swim, are not allowed to perform this activity.

She is certified Jr OW and is in Advanced and Nitrox with me now. We were waiting for it to warm up a bit before doing the OW dives. I guess we could suck it up and do the OW dives before spring break, though I still want her to gain more experience before doing challenging dives. I will let her go deeper after AOW and some experience.

Well darn.

In the meantime I'll get hold of my buddy. She used to be an active member here but she's too busy nowadays to post much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom