Ideas on mounting a canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Burner

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a big light (proteus 14) and I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas on mounting it to me.
I'm diving with a bp, single tank, drysuit recreational. I dive with about 9lbs of weight (without the light), and the light weighs 5lbs I think.

I don't like mounting it on my right side on the harness because it is a pain to get off and on. I don't want to always dive with it. Tank mounting it would probably throw off my balance somewhat and make my rig extremely heavy.

The owner of the LDS helped me set up a sort of sling for the light. It now has bolt straps on the top and bottom of it, and I just mount clip those onto the hip d rings, or a hip and a sholder d ring. The setup seems to be great although I haven't dove with it. It makes it way easier to get my gear on, I just get it on normally and then clip it in. If I don't want to use it, i just grab another 5 lbs of weight and put it on my bcd strap. (I put 5 lbs on the strap between the hip d rings and the plate with 1lb cylinder weights)

Any thoughts on this configuration, or suggestions for a better configuration?

I where mine on my weightbelt.

The shoulder/ hip d-ring clip sounds good. Kinda like a stage bottle mount. I'll have to try it.

I mean, I realize the 14 is a silo, but the beauty of a canister light (for me) is that its PART of the rig. I've never regretted taking a light on a dive - I have often regretted leaving my light on the deck.

Even tho its big, I would highly recommend integrating it as part of your rig on every dive. Its more than just illumination - its also a safety device, a signal device. And in your case, some balast. :D

A lot of us take it on every dive - brightest daylight, overcast and gloom of night. You may feel the same after a while.

K

motivation, I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting.
I would be bringing it on the majority of the dives I do, but occasionally I would not bring it. I feel it is more a part of the rig the way I set it up then on the belt. If its on the belt I have to break it down for traveling (every dive) because I don't trust leaving it in my dive bag. Also maybe I just haven't figured out the trick to don the bp with light on, but it seems to be quite difficult. With it like a stage I just put my gear on normally then clip it on me.

Any disadvantages of having it like a stage? (I'm guessing it would be hard to have a stage bottle with it, but since I"m not doing that it seems irrelevent at least to me.)

Mine is a lot smaller (thank for sharing, Ken) so I leave it on the waist band of my Backplate all the time.

It hasn't come off in over a year. it packs in the bag (usually my drysuit undies are on that side sort of wrapped around it) and after every dive, it gets dunked.

When dry, I pop the top, and pull out the batt to charge it.

Its more streamlined that way (waist mounted) and I'm in the kelp all the time... Plus its solid. I think "stage mounting" it would inject some swing into the thing...

You gotta do what you gotta do - but the tried and true waist mount is probably the best option.

What BC are you diving? Is it a big pain to thread on and off the waist?

K

boomx5 once bubbled...
I just slide mine on the webbing on my right side and then slide a buckle on to hold it in place; all together it takes about 10 seconds. When I'm done I just slide it off, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I agree. This should be a very simple and easy operation as there is nothing on the right side except a spare buckle to hold the light in place (if you have room).

I guess the snaps would work with a light that big, but sounds like a PITA.

MD

boomx5 once bubbled...
I just slide mine on the webbing on my right side and then slide a buckle on to hold it in place; all together it takes about 10 seconds. When I'm done I just slide it off, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Same here. I can doff or don the light either before or after I put my gear on with no problems.

All you need is a spare plastic or metal weight belt buckle to just slide onto the webbing after the light. Then close the buckle and the light is securely locked in place. To remove, simply pop the buckle open and slide off.

Don't try threading the buckle on, that defeats the whole simplistic purpose.

If I remember, I'll try to post a pic this evening.

Pic as promised.

View from the back side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom