Ideas for tipping "above and beyond"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings all

Besides cash, what are some good ideas for tips/gifts for hard working DMs, instructors and crew?

I know that tips are a big part of most crews income and I am not trying to find an alternative to cash. I always tip the crew generously and sometimes really generously for "above and beyond". I will continue to tip in that same manner, but I am looking for a little something to add along with a monetary tip.

Here is an example:

On one of my first salt water dives, we were joined by a really nice guy who worked for a beer distributer in the Midwest. In addition to the tip he gave, he had brought along some beer swag (hat, shirts, bottle openers, etc...) that he gave to the crew. This seemed to be quite a hit and it made me think.

Cash is the norm, it is expected. Unless you are dropping $100s in the tip jar, its just another day on the boat. But if you were to go a little further, you might make someones day.

If you work in an office like me, nobody gets overly excited when they come around with the paychecks, it's expected and mostly spent by the time you get it. But the day somebody brings in doughnuts, there are smiles in almost every cubicle. It just brightens up everyones day and it cost like five bucks.

I would especially appreciate the opinions of anyone who is currently working on a dive boat. What have you received that you thought was awesome?

Thanks.

Last edited:
it really depends on where you are going. Some parts of the world the DMs have to provide their own dive gear, which means their gear is much worse than any of the guests! For them, I would seriously consider buying them a new safety sausage or fins. I have seen DMs in Cozumel wearing fins that didn't even fit them! Most DMs really loved it when divers would bring tshirts for them from home - like from a certain city or football or baseball team, etc. One DM in Coz got a Dallas Cowboys jersey from a group when we were there and he was running up and down the beach showing everyone, he was so happy! Places like Palau (the citizens there are huge on American tv) would get a kick out of the same sort of thing.

robin:D

Being in the industry, cash is nice but something from the heart is always better. Sometimes its the small things that mean the most.

I always give cash dollars, but objects are useful as well.

In their environment, a "pocket tool" like a Leatherman is always welcome.

This next trip, I'm bringing along some nice watches I picked up at a real deal, Bulova & Citizen dive watches, and a G-Shock.

For my Divemaster's wife, I bought her a Kyocera Ceramic Kitchen knife.

Flashlights are always welcome, and how about a bunch of $1 Store toys for the kids? Ribbons, bows and hair care stuff for their daughters? Spiral notebook paper is hard to get in most dive destinations- and Crayola Brand Crayons don't melt in the heat.

Cash is what they need, but a nice pair of sunglasses is always appreciated.

We once (pre airline stupidity) dragged a microwave and popcorn to Columbia. Get creative.

Speaking as crew-member on a dive boat here in NJ I'll tell you that the best thing that you can get from any passenger is a heartfelt handshake and a genuine "Dude, thanks for helping make this a great day!"

Depending on where you go, I guess that bring it gear that cannot be found locally could be good idea. It is true that some DM in South East Asia don't have good equipment. It could be nice to bring an extra mask, for example, and give it to your guide.
And if you book yourself your trip, you can always ask the people at the dive center if they'd like or need something that is difficult to get where they are !
Also depending on my destination, I sometimes bring chocolate, cheese or wine (ok, yes I am French) to share.

Greetings all

Besides cash, what are some good ideas for tips/gifts for hard working DMs, instructors and crew?

I know that tips are a big part of most crews income and I am not trying to find an alternative to cash. I always tip the crew generously and sometimes really generously for "above and beyond". I will continue to tip in that same manner, but I am looking for a little something to add along with a monetary tip.

Here is an example:

On one of my first salt water dives, we were joined by a really nice guy who worked for a beer distributer in the Midwest. In addition to the tip he gave, he had brought along some beer swag (hat, shirts, bottle openers, etc...) that he gave to the crew. This seemed to be quite a hit and it made me think.

Cash is the norm, it is expected. Unless you are dropping $100s in the tip jar, its just another day on the boat. But if you were to go a little further, you might make someones day.

If you work in an office like me, nobody gets overly excited when they come around with the paychecks, it's expected and mostly spent by the time you get it. But the day somebody brings in doughnuts, there are smiles in almost every cubicle. It just brightens up everyones day and it cost like five bucks.

I would especially appreciate the opinions of anyone who is currently working on a dive boat. What have you received that you thought was awesome?

Thanks.

First off, what a thoughtful person are you! You can come diving with me anytime. :wink:

To answer your question, though...I have two recommendations: One is to pick up scuba tank key chains from your lds. They are inexpensive, fun, useful and most people, including DMs and DIs don't have them. Plus, they usually have handy o-rings stored inside the mini scuba cylinder. You could even put your tip inside the cylinder!

My other recommendation is to tailor your extra gift to the DMs on that particular trip. After diving with them, you'll have a feel for what would really be a nice, special touch and can then stop at the local restaurant/dive shop/souvenir stand/beer store.

For example, I certified this really cool guy who, during his course, asked me all kinds of questions about what it was like to work as a dive instructor. I told him the pay wasn't great - i.e. I couldn't eat out at Roy's (wonderful, expensive restaurant) all the time - but the perks were awesome and more than made up for any other shortcomings. After his certification, he gave me a thank-you card along with a big! gift card to Roy's. I was speechless. More than anything, over his thoughtfulness. I will never forget him (hey, Randy!) and look forward to diving with him again.

Why the " Besides cash" thingy, it's hard to buy something without cash.......I don't get it....

I think the besides cash was asked just to provide something different. A mask, some equipment, other stuff that maybe they wouldn't get. A gift certificate to a restaurant that you like but can't afford sounds like someone put the effort to make your thank you special.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom