Ideal Island Ride (for diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, I've got the ultimate island ride already

http://msh-co.com/maui_mustang/

However, it's just not da bomb for carrying dive gear (OK for 2 tho).
I need something that'll transport gear and a kayak. I need high ground clearance too on Maui to get to places like La Perouse bay and Black Sand Beach without bashing out the bottom. We go hiking too and some of the trail roads are 4x4. I'm thinking a jeep cherokee (95 or so) or maybe a P/U with camper shell. My budget is $2K - $4k. Any good ideas bros?

TIA & Mahalo

Mark

I used to have a Wrangler for my dive vehicle, it was great. Take the back seat and doors off (the top is optional). You can carry 2 sets of gear and you don't have to worry about anyone breaking the glass to get into your vehicle. It was a little tight with 2 full sets however.

Now I have a new Ridgeline, plenty of Pukas to hide things (like a trunk!) but I am too afraid to park it anywhere!

How many people would you normally be seating in this dive vehicle?

I used to have a 99 Mazda B 4000 pickup (aka Ford Ranger) with the Off Road 4WD package. It could go anywhere here on the Big Island. Just enough clearance and short wheelbase, and very tough. We would put our gear in plastic tubs and tanks in a rack all in the back of the 6 ft bed. The only downside was the flip down seats for the #3 & 4 riders were not very comfortable. Otherwise it was pretty nice for a shore diving truck. You might be able to find a Ranger or Tacoma in the $4k range with some miles on it??

those older Cherokees have a lot of expensive issues involving the front end, I think. Bushings, u joints, bearings. Especially the four wheel drives. I would look for an older VW station wagon, something with roof racks and a bit lower (me personally). One of those little Honda suv things. Something with a hatch back you could put little tank seperators in the back (plywood with ripped 1x2's ridges) and low enough to get things on the top if you are alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom