Idea For Marking Great Dive Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are lots of apps that log GPS positions. Receiving the GPS signal from the satellites does not depend on cell service. If you want to plot the GPS positions on a map, cell service will provide Google Maps to do that, but you can also download the file of GPS positions to a computer, and plot them there. Old phones will work fine. Try it. Take one, or take your current phone and turn off cell service, go on wifi, download GPS Logger (as an example), and run it.

I'm going to take my Nokia Lumia 520 (I think that's the model) out on my next boat trip and see if the navigation programs work. I'm absolutely certain (well, pretty sure anyway) that I have tested it on land far away from any cell phone towers and some of the navigation programs work and some don't. One thing I am sure of is that it will track my flight on an airliner at 35,000 feet. I have done this several times and that is with NO data plan and no WiFi. It will also give me the altitude and air speed. Most of the time. Sometimes it freezes up but then resumes. It works over the Pacific Ocean so it's not getting the info from cell phone towers. My GF's old iPhone 6 will not do much of anything without paying for service.

This is off the subject but I also have Viber (application) and can text and make phone calls with WiFi. It works in many countries and is either free or very cheap. I'm amazed at how much stuff you don't really have to pay for, at least not on the Nokia Lumia phones.

The Navionics app for phones uses only GPS signals when you are out in a boat (assuming you have already downloaded the maps to your phone - I usually do this via wifi before I go somewhere new). No need for cell tower connection.

A mate gave me a waterproof case for an iPhone 5s last week (waterproof to 50m). It is set up for using the iPhone as a camera although apparently the customised app for it is no longer available to download.

Much to my surprise my Weather Channel app includes detailed maps plus gives you your current location. I used it to locate such things as the ferry and MEGA store on Cozumel. Like you I download the maps with WiFi beforehand.

I have been to a few dive sites that the boat considers as special, such as an offshore ledge or an especially good fossil location and they try to protect those numbers although that is hard to do these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom