Ice Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Today was day two of initial LGS Ice Rescue/Recovery training for some of us as well as refresher training for the B shifters. Tomorrow and Monday we will incorperate our training with the A and C shifters, then finish up our certification stuff on Tuesday. We are doing Recovery Operations training as well as Rapid Deployment operations.

There are a few pics in the gallery taken by the non-diver shore support guy I handed my camera to :D

Believe it or not, I'm actually NOT sleeping in this pic :11:

For those of you reading this that are grinding your teeth thinking how cold it is, remember, we are warmer doing this than a lot of the summer dives.

One of the biggest problems with the ice is overheating. Sure we can get chilled or even cold but overheating is a far bigger problem.

You guys remember the old Beach Boy’s tune? And we’ll have fun, fun, fun till her daddy takes the T-Bird away.

Change it around a little. And we’ll have fun, fun, fun till the mother takes our ice sheets away. Hehehe

Lots of fun and very rewarding. This is what we focus the majority of our training on. Even during the summer we still incorporate some of the ice techniques.

Kind of like a wreck dive, one way in and one way out.

Looks like you guys are having way tooooooo much fun. Our ice is almost gone. We are having a very dry warm year.

Hey, isn't that an alarm clock on your back with the look-a-like regulator on it? :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Hey, isn't that an alarm clock on your back with the look-a-like regulator on it? :D
Hehehe... I've been found out :D

Today was another long day. After the briefing, the first dive was a rapid deployment with me as the primary diver. I became a "diver in distress" and was "rescued" by the backup diver. They had a fun time trying to get my limp body in full gear on and secured to the sled..... with 4 people in the 6' X 6' triangular hole. It was pretty comical until they actually got the sled back out of the hole with me on it.... my tender lying on top of me had me pinned face down on the board. Then it was OWOWOWOWOWOW all the way back to shore :11:

For the afternoon I was assigned IC (Incident Command). We switched to recovery mode and my job was to rotate 11 divers through all the positions. The instructors were expecting this to take until 8 p.m. We got it together and got it done so well that they made the last 2 dives rapid deployment dives. And still got out of there by 5 p.m. :D

I was a primary tender for both of the last dives - my first time in that role.... Even though the ice is 2' thick, we are simulating a thin ice situation, which means the first person (backup tender) goes out on the sled until s/he falls through the ice. That person then becomes the human anchor against the edge of the ice. Next in the hole is the primary tender (in this case me) on a seperate tether. Then the backup diver and lastly the primary diver, both of who get hooked to the human anchor. The 90% ready diver waits on the sled ready to dive except for mask. If a victim is found, the 90% rolls of the sled. If there's a problem with one of the divers (like today the primary diver lost his weight belt when he got in the hole, so he was yanked out and the 90% went in). So anyhow - the tenders end up staying in the icey water for what seems like a long time, but in a rapid deployment scenario should actually be less that ~ 45 minutes.

As Gary noted, overheating can be a problem. We had that problem yesterday. It was sunny and warm and I was actually sweating. Today it was overcast and cold and breezy. The warming tent and hot cocoa got used a lot more!!

A few more pics were taken, but since I had to come back to the station to finish out the shift, then back for more training tomorrow with A shift, they won't get downloaded until tomorrow night. I'll post 'em when I get 'em.....

Shisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Don't make it sound like fun. :D

We practice and practice and practice, but when it comes to the real thing you don't even have to think about what to do. It just comes natural.

We are gearing up for the boating season. Most of our ski resorts are either closed or getting ready to which is better than two months early. Not looking good.

Gary D.

We actually train all year as well. That's how come the recerts can be done in one day and us n00bs can do the whole ice class in 4 days, even with the recerts mixed in. The basics and procedures are no different than what we do in the summer.... just add ice and a couple more steps to deal with it.....

Plenty o times you are standing on the ice and all you can think about is wanting to jump into the water so you can cool down. Mustang Ice Commanders are super warm.

Gary D.:
Shisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Don't make it sound like fun. :D
Here's one just for you, Gary :D
PSD_Ice_Dive_MArch_05_111u.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom