Ice is gone - Time To Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Rob! Here's another cool item to look for & collect - old clay smoking pipes. These were hugely popular back in the day and manufactures got pretty creative in designing pipe bowls. As I understand it, people would smoke the pipe and nip off segments of the stem as it got saturated with spit, that's why they're often found with partial stems, or no stems at all.

Now that's pretty awesome, I would definitely display a few of those somewhere. Where about do you dive to find those? I'm assuming Ontario?

My mom wants me to pull a few milk bottles up so she can use them in her country themed kitchen, so hopefully I'll have a picture for you soon enough.

With the river free of ice and the current running fast with the early Spring melt-water, we hit the water for the season's first dive. I'm always amazed by the changes in the underwater river topography, created by the fast currents of Spring. I was exploring an area I'd been to many times before, but the sands of last year had shifted, revealing a long buried 'Beehive' style crock, of the 'squat' variant. Unlike all the other pottery I've found while diving, this one was mint - no chips, cracks or missing parts - I was thrilled! How long had this crock lay hidden in those river sands? Others more knowledgeable than I estimated it was made sometime in the 1870's.
Are you diving the St. Clair or St. Lawrence?

Are you diving the St. Clair or St. Lawrence?
I've hit the St. Clair a few times to ride the current at the Blue Water Bridge location; I've been diving the St. Lawrence for many years now, such a great river to dive!

Now that's pretty awesome, I would definitely display a few of those somewhere. Where about do you dive to find those? I'm assuming Ontario?

My mom wants me to pull a few milk bottles up so she can use them in her country themed kitchen, so hopefully I'll have a picture for you soon enough.
Yes indeed, I know a number of women who are interested in the milk bottles; some of them can be quite valuable, depending on their scarcity.

I've hit the St. Clair a few times to ride the current at the Blue Water Bridge location; I've been diving the St. Lawrence for many years now, such a great river to dive!
Awesome stuff to be found in the St. Clair at Courtright, Sombra, and Port Lambton. My usual haunt is the boardwalk at Marine City.

Do you know if you can still dive on the Windsor side of the Detroit River?

Awesome stuff to be found in the St. Clair at Courtright, Sombra, and Port Lambton. My usual haunt is the boardwalk at Marine City.

Do you know if you can still dive on the Windsor side of the Detroit River?
Far as I know you can; I have not heard anything to the contrary.

Surprised they aren't protected by law as historical treasures.
I think the Law is interested in "sites" with historical significance. During the mid-eighties, when Toronto's "Skydome" was being built, the 'Diggers' of the day told me Archaeologists were on scene to survey the remnants of the old docks of Toronto Harbour that were un-earthed. The scientists told the Diggers to refrain from searching for items near the dock site, but had no issue with them looking for old glass and crockery on the rest of the Dome excavation site, which was, farther back in the day, a massive dumping ground for Old Toronto's trash. Most of us who hunt for relics are big history buffs and enjoy that aspect of the hobby as much as the adventure of searching. I for one am happy to see examples of our past rescued from the ground or the water, as opposed to them remaining hidden, for no one to enjoy. Further, as more and more areas of our planet are scoured for construction purposes, many relics are un-earthed, only to be destroyed and/or dumped in another waste site. Many relic hunters explore these sites ( with permission ) and rescue relics from the past that would otherwise be lost.

Yea, it was considered junk and waste back then, and today the value is what someone will pay for it. Consider it cleaning the underwater enviroment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom