Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
Any ice diving possible in SoCal? Obviously, I don't mean the ocean :D

Or is Tahoe the nearest spot?

You're a So Cal now. Leave the ice diving for the land locked, quarry dunking, drink water divers that are east of I15 and dreaming of So Cal from November thru April.

Tahoe is No Cal. Don't make me break out another geography lesson on everyone....

Bigbear - probably as close as a So Cal could go for ice diving. Mammoth, Bishop - all possibilities, all closer than Tahoe.

Lemmie know when you go - you dive, I'll fish!

K

Ever since the "Big Blue", I've dreamed of ice diving...

The geo lesson was well learned, but I can't seem to find anything closer than Tahoe.

I will put a 2 inch sheet of semi-tranparent acryclic across my pool and not heat it for the next few months. Come January, it should be in the 50s...which I realize is NOT old enough, so you can use a trilam dry suit with no thermal undergarments. Next we will drill a hole in the acrylic and toss in a few hundred pounds of ice from the local grocery store.

Does that work for you?

Come to Minnesota and you can do all the ice diving you want in January.

Spend 4 hours cutting a hole through 3 feet of ice that only a undersized muskrat could fit through.

Jump in.

I'll drink some Amstel Lights and watch you.

You'll descend, it will go black, and then you'll hit your head on something-it's the frozen lake bottom. Grab a handful-this is your reward for all your efforts.

"What did you see?"

"Nothing"

"I thought so"

Good one, Buff.

Maybe, the kind of experience I'm looking for cannot be had in a lake. And certainly not in Minnessota :)

Whoever saw that scene in the "Big Blue" when the hero swims under the ice will know what I mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom