Ice diving...in wetsuits????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimclarke:
Used to dive under ice every winter in fresh water. 8 mm long john and 8 mm jacket.
The main problem in the water was the forhead pain between the hood an the mask.

Getting changed in the snow with a good breeze was also cool. that was the early 70s
I have also done Ice diving in a wetsuit. But used a full face mask to avoid having the face issue. A good semi-dry would work fairly well, and not have the cold water entry issue. But, if one is going to do it very often, dry is the way to go.

Cold face is a problem. I find that I prefer a regular mask to the full face though.

A couple more points,We also use a "y" rope but do a wrap around the BC strap or harness before we clip into the other metal D ring. Also, we cut a triangle for a whole. The corners are easier to get out of than a square or circle.

One thing we do to get newbies comfortable with the ice dive is have them get in the water and NOT dive the first time. Just play around in the hole and if they feel comfortable let them drop just below the surface. Straight down under the hole, no straying under the ice unless they choose to. This works well to walk them into the whole process.

Betail, in the pics I uploaded you can see we are doing the triangle method, works great ! I prefer full mask though, much more comfortable.

We also use the triangle method but we put a 15 x 15 heated shack over it to make things nice & warm as soon as your out. We also shovel long lines in the snow from each point with a circle on the ends & pour water on them to allow for more light.

Good safety step. We do the same. We have gone to a portable Ice fishing shanty. Kind of like a tent on a hard plastic floor. One group I dive with has a "U" shaped step that we hang from the ice. It makes a nice platform about 3'down for getting in and out. Souds like we should set up an Ice forum when the weather cools. I'll bet there are a lot of divers who could share tips on ice diving.

Its not realy the dive that is the problem as far as temp goes anyone who has dove cold water knows theres not a lot of temp diffrence at 80 ft in August or January its the pre dive and especialy the post dive that become the issue as far as trying to warm up.

I'll bet there are a lot of divers who could share tips on ice diving.

For divers finding the hole essential to life.
For skaters not finding the hole is just as vital.
Remember to mark the hole well so skaters are not suprised!

I plan to complete my Ice Diver specialty in march - I'm absolutely stoked for it, it looks like a blast - I hope it serves as a lead up to some diving in alaska or somewhere else, with ice and very cold water.

I guess we'll see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom