Ice diving...in wetsuits????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altitudemike:
Barracuda2 is that a sony VX1000 housing you're holding?

Yes, it's the Amphibico VH1000 housing. I've been nursing my VX1000 cam for a few years now, trying to make it last as long as possible. Once the cam goes, I'm in for a hefty $ investment into a new system. Just got back from Little Cayman; however, I have to send the housing to Amphibico for pressure testing and repair. I developed a small leak somewhere towards the end of the trip but can't determine where.:( They'll either clean up the motherboard or give me a new one because I got some moisture on it. I hope everything stays together for my Palau/Yap trip next March. This happened to me a few years ago and had to replace the motherboard. However, they cleaned up the old one and when I put it in, everything worked fine. I'm hoping that's all they'll have to do to this board. Are you into video or have this housing? PM me since this is an Ice diving thread.

JungleJoe:
We lost 2 divers about 2 yrs ago, father and son who lived on a lake, lake was not fully frozen over, they walked out, went diving, got lost , I guess they went toward shore to try to break their way out, but at the shore line the ice was too thick, ran out of air they both did, and died together.

Any diving can be dangerous , Ice is not IF you take the precautions and safety measures I spoke about earlier. As with any dive, if you don't take the precautions and do something foolish , you could end up losing your life. Diving under the ice w/o ropes and ppl watching out for you up top, is not safe. Nor is diving solo into a wreck or cave, not using a reel or have back up gear and the training to begin with, you could end up going OOA after you silted out a compartment and die from that.

:confused:

Huh? Ice diving is not dangerous if precautions are taken? Not. Even with precautions it elevates the risk:

There is one way out.
You are connected to your own personal entanglement hazard.
If there are more than one of you in the water and you, or tenders, are not paying attention you can tangle lines.
If you experience an equipment malfunction, "just surfacing" is not an option.

Green_Manelishi:
:confused:

Huh? Ice diving is not dangerous if precautions are taken? Not. Even with precautions it elevates the risk:

There is one way out.
You are connected to your own personal entanglement hazard.
If there are more than one of you in the water and you, or tenders, are not paying attention you can tangle lines.
If you experience an equipment malfunction, "just surfacing" is not an option.

Ice diving is generally shallow since the interesting stuff is the ice itself.
Properly done, I would also say it can be safer than some open water dives since you are attached to a line. I have done many and never had any entanglement problems. There are ways to avoid it.
When experiencing equipement malfunction, with propper tending, you are out of the water in no time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom