Ice diving course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this maybe Jermaine to this discussion , a VERY prominent padi center in toronto just got booted out of padi (along with the owner/instructor ) for breaking standards on an ice diving course (there was other breaches ) but the ice course was the last straw . ive seen / heard alot of things that are done wrong on ice courses . making a major mistake under the ice , can be very unforgiving .......safety CANNOT short cutted i would NEVER teach / go under the ice without lines and tenders

...//... safety CANNOT short cutted i would NEVER teach / go under the ice without lines and tenders
I can vouch for that.

Steve's typical scenario is two tenders on surface with him watching. One hole, two lines, two divers having fun. So help you (insert your favorite diety here) tenders, DON'T CROSS THE LINES!

(just a 'tender' heads up :wink: )

1. Free flow --> brain freeze --> urgent need to exit --> hold your breath --> trash your lungs
2. No backup mask. See #1
3. Loss of buoyancy --> sudden stop at the ceiling may hurt

I can for sure attest that #1 is actually a real risk.

There was a fatality in the Saint Lawrence (Canada) perhaps 12 years ago now. The power inflator on his doubles failed, frozen coupling prevented the disconnection and shutting down his right post didnt happen fast enough. He crashed into the ice overhead, was knocked unconscious (or possibly broke his neck) and died.

There was a similar buoyancy issues (the other way) in the USCG Healy accident
Coast Guard report cites long list of mistakes that led to deaths of divers from icebreaker - Professional Mariner

You jest but loss of buoyancy control in extremely cold water is a really serious issue.

You jest but loss of buoyancy control in extremely cold water is a really serious issue.

To support your statement, I had a frozen inflator in 6°C water; in my case, it was nothing serious (the frozen inflator was filling the wing relatively slowly, and I had managed to disconnect it very quickly), but the water was 6°C (that is, relatively warm with respect to the context we are discussing)... At lower temperatures, I am sure everything happens faster and more seriously (we don't need a degree in physics to understand it).

Cold has to be taken seriously.

i would NEVER teach / go under the ice without lines and tenders

Are you saying that some people actually teach to go ice diving without lines? o_O:eek:

I have some spare time that I want to spend. Hence, I will reply to this post. Please note that I am only reacting to these exact words, not to the whole discussion. So, just isolated comments. I am not taking sides. Just my opinions below.

Well, most of the things you "answered" were statements, not questions... but good to see that you agree on all of them. Especially about the fact that an ice diving course is a very good idea.

On the other hand, the answers to the few things that were actually "questions" were very interesting. Nice to discover that the abyssal zone can start as shallow as 20m/60ft. Can you name some sites? I am getting curious about them :)

I once saw a PADI c- card for “Advanced Ice Diver”. Anyone know what advanced ice diving is?

Anyone know what advanced ice diving is?
I'm pretty sure that "Advanced Ice Diver" is a specialty card. Just like my NAUI "Blackwater Diver 1" card from Lifeguard Systems.

Maybe someone can share how a specialty course is constructed and 'sanctioned' by an agency?
(Unless the OP sees this as a hijack)

Would be interesting to see what the differences are between the PADI Ice Diver and Advanced Ice diver courses?

there is a punchline to that which we are no longer allowed to use.....

Finally I can load pictures....

I like old books....

Attachments

• 20210827_165106.jpg
    20210827_165106.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210827_165048.jpg
    20210827_165048.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 71
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom