Ice diving course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Search pattern...
how do you do one in a cave?
A circle be one way....

Cave training.... if you mean a piece of plastic, no.
If you mean training as in practical I have dove in caves and done penetration diving, yes

Lost line searches are not circular

So you have no actual cave diving training, but are suggesting people dive under ice like it was a cave dive. Glad you cleared that up

Lost line searches are not circular

They better be.
If you have no general sense of direction
And even then you can be wrong....
I said, have a compass and know how to use it...

A bare bottom of the lake you have 2 reference points. Bottom and surface...

But you keep forgetting I ice dive where i have dove before... and it has tons of (landmarks) and tie off points.

Didn't all the cave divers argue with progressive wreck divers about laying cave line to search an unknown to them wrecks?
In the end the end laying line is the norm.

Yes if you are going to dive in a bare bottom lake with no landmarks... you better think about it... not really my kind of diving...

So you have no actual cave diving training, but are suggesting people dive under ice like it was a cave dive. Glad you cleared that up

Curiously, he suggested I should read Sheck Exley, a guy who put the lack of training among the five most common causes of accidents.

Frankly speaking, the approach he is suggesting is dangerous, period.

They better be.

Many caves are like tunnels, if you go for circular patterns you will end up hitting the wall very soon, likely before you find the broken line. Although in certain cases a circular approach may work, often it wouldn't (for sure not in the cave I have been); on the other hand, other approaches (like radial patterns) would work very often - a cave diving course will explain that.

[EDIT: maybe you call circular something that we call differently...]

Other people in this thread suggested a totally different approach from your one in ice diving (which makes sense to me).

I have nothing against you, but the approach you are suggesting is really dangerous. I hope you will never have to figure it out the hard way.

They better be. (CIRCULAR)
I said, have a compass and know how to use it... ...//...
Using a compass, if the diver begins a circular search without a second line then the diver lost fix on the hole, no matter how good you are with a compass.

...//... A bare bottom of the lake you have 2 reference points. Bottom and surface... ...//...
So you are running a line that sinks, your buddy's fin catches the line that you are laying and you end up with a dropped reel and a cloud of silt. Next move?

...//... But you keep forgetting I ice dive where i have dove before... and it has tons of (landmarks) and tie off points. ...//...
Nobody is forgetting that. This thread isn't about you and your local ice dive conditions. It could have been, had you started your own thread and stated such in the OP. The problem is that there are several interested divers watching this thread and trying to make sense of everything. You serve a useful purpose in that your style of ice diving is (I have no words) dangerous if appllied to ice diving in general.

...//... Didn't all the cave divers argue with progressive wreck divers about laying cave line to search an unknown to them wrecks?
In the end the end laying line is the norm. ...//...
But we are talking about ice diving here...

Curiously, he suggested I should read Sheck Exley, a guy who put the lack of training among the five most common causes of accidents.

Frankly speaking, the approach he is suggesting is dangerous, period.
Agreed. I have a copy of Exley's pamphlet. Most interesting as to how he (Sheck Exley) 'got religion' with respect to safety in diving. Note my tagline: '...or the New Jersey Turnpike'. That is there in honor of Mr. Exley.

Truth in advertising: I don't even pretend to be a cave diver even though I have an ancient cert.

...//... I have nothing against you, but the approach you are suggesting is really dangerous. I hope you will never have to figure it out the hard way.
We are ALL on the same page, here.

@Rol diy, Please offer your solution to a disconnected diver. Two scenarios, disconnect at the diver and disconnect at the tender. (piling, in your case).

Thank you.

They better be.

Perhaps you should actually take a cave course before recommending people do things "like a cave diver".

Cave lost line drills are definitely not circular. And if you try to run a circular pattern in a lake you will actually travel in a spiral

Difference between ice & cave I told people who were freaked out about me ice diving this winter:

With ice diving, the lines we used were 100ft long.

:eek: You can also ice dive using 1000ft fixed lines like I do

udt diving inc .......we use a FIXED 100 foot line safety line is 200 feet . we teach a circular search pattern

You know you can't feel cave line, even #36 through dry gloves right?
A divers hands are his eyes, I’d either change the line or get rid of the gloves.

I’ve never dived under ice. Is the underneath of the ice always flat? Will the line that the safety diver is searching with, be able to pass freely? If a lost diver goes to the underneath of the ice can they be seen from the surface. Excuse the stupid questions. No experience with ice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom