Ice Diving Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those needing the specialty, please PM me. We are currently holding out for some thicker ice so we can cut a hole in and have some fun so the date is up in the air due to the weather.....If we dont get thick enough ice, we can still break the ice at the shore and go in from shore, so we will still be doing the class.

I just wanted to throw this out there as I know I have had alot of interest from people for this.

We have 2 locations for doing the class....Haigh Quarry and Avery Quarry(our little secret) :wink:

As I said, please PM and I will stay in touch with dates and we will make it happen

Mike

:confused: :confused:
We were ice diving the first weekend in February. We drove from Texas to northern Iowa. Had a blast along the way! I was certified in Feb 2007. Had so much fun, I went back in 2008!

I had way more fun in 2008! What a friggin' blast! I am a hooked Ice Diver now! Much fun!

JR

:confused: :confused:
We were ice diving the first weekend in February. We drove from Texas to northern Iowa. Had a blast along the way! I was certified in Feb 2007. Had so much fun, I went back in 2008!

I had way more fun in 2008! What a friggin' blast! I am a hooked Ice Diver now! Much fun!

JR

Did you go up to Lake Okoboji???

I have been wanting to go up there the past few years for ice diving and just have not been able to find the time. My mother-in-law lives on that lake...

Phil

We've had pretty good results here in Central MO with ice as well. I had 4 inches this past weekend and hope to have the same this coming weekend. I also hope I can find 33 degree's this time around, maybe if I stay at the top for a while I'll hit 33?

Good luck with the class. What brand class and requirements for taking it?

PADI class.....requirements.....Hmmmm we supposed to have those :wink:

Just kidding..OPenwater is required and we require wetsuit or drysuit unless you wana be in the polar bear club :wink: IF its a drysuit, they must have already had a DS class and proficient understanding of the drysuit

Link:
Ice Diver

PADI class.....requirements.....Hmmmm we supposed to have those :wink:

Just kidding..OPenwater is required and we require wetsuit or drysuit unless you wana be in the polar bear club :wink: IF its a drysuit, they must have already had a DS class and proficient understanding of the drysuit

Standards say AOW is the pre-req.

skdvr, Yep. Okoboji. Okoboji is a blast! I have really fallen in love with that lake . . . . . and the only time I've seen it is in February! LOL!

Cummings, your best bet for finding the 33F water is to hang out right near the surface or ice/water interface depth. Physics says that the water temp in that region must be 32F but as with most things in life, the practical matter of getting your thermometer in the right place for the required length of time, calibration, etc., says that you will be very lucky to see a 33F reading on your thermometer.

You have a much better probability of finding 37F water at the bottom of the water column.

Look up Blue Water Divers at Arnold's Park. They can get you set up for ice diving.

Look up Blue Water Divers at Arnold's Park. They can get you set up for ice diving.

That is where I have gone for air fills when I have been up there. Only about a 5 min drive from my mother-in-law's house. I just have not made it up there in the winter aside from Christmas, and there is no way anyone would let me out of their sight long enough for me to do some ice diving...

Phil

Back
Top Bottom