Ice Diving and Great Lake Undergarment ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive X-NINE undergarment with a thin baselayer and a santi heating vest with gloves.

Even without the heating gear i can dive 4degree water without problems. And i freeze really fast! The X NINE is very flexible compared to other stiff materials

I like the Forth Element X-core vest. Wear this next to the skin with a Santi heated vest over that, then a standard FE vest, then a rash vest, then FE Arctic Expedition top over that. Layers rock!

Another vote for the FE glove liners. If cold water, wear the Xerotherm Wrist Warmers and need the thick Kubi gloves as they don't break (although you loose a bit of dexterity as it's hard to feel stuff through that lot).

Any fool can be cold.

Not being well-trained for ice diving, but my 5 cents. I do ice dive with rebreather.
Base layer of unknown origin, then 35W 12V heated vest with 4 level heat regulator (DIY),
then Subgear 490 undergarment. Fleece glove liners. Dry gloves. Also, i think about DIY heated glove liners.
I use twin hood - 3mm + 5mm, and bilam suit (Typhoon with front horisontal zip, 10+- years old).
Heated vest mostly be turned to 50% as mostly water is about +4 deg.C,
the 100% power i use on surface and when rarely water is too cold - about +2 deg.C.

I know its a loaded question but do really think there worth the cost. For example I have a Santi 6m which it the most comfortable, I have a custom 12m which while warm kills my jaw after 20mins (so much for custom) and a basic summer 1m so I don't burn.
I can't speak to the Santi hood as I have never dove one.
For years, the warmest hood I have found was the waterproof 10mm. It is a fantastic hood.
That said, it is thick and not very flexible. The 8mm K01 is just as warm, yet very soft and comfy.
It also costs twice as much. If cost isn't your primary concern for a cold water hood, I am a huge K01 fan. If cost is a big part of your decision, buy the waterproof 10mm. Either way, you will get a quality product that keeps you warm.

If you have a guess to the size you need, I can send you a couple of K01s to try on.

I can't speak to the Santi hood as I have never dove one.
For years, the warmest hood I have found was the waterproof 10mm. It is a fantastic hood.
That said, it is thick and not very flexible. The 8mm K01 is just as warm, yet very soft and comfy.
It also costs twice as much. If cost isn't your primary concern for a cold water hood, I am a huge K01 fan. If cost is a big part of your decision, buy the waterproof 10mm. Either way, you will get a quality product that keeps you warm.

If you have a guess to the size you need, I can send you a couple of K01s to try on.
Is the Waterproof hood the one with the rolly-up-neck-bib that makes you look like a dog/cat that's had some veterinary work?

Is the Waterproof hood the one with the rolly-up-neck-bib that makes you look like a dog/cat that's had some veterinary work?
It is a standard bibbed hood. Nothing special about it. I cut the bib off since I use a neoprene neck seal.

Pity they don’t do the 10mm hood as bibless.

Does it fray where you cut it? They overlock the edge with a neat strip.

I have the Waterproof 8mm bibless version which is great.

Last year I needed a new Waterproof 7mm. Local shop didn’t have the non-bibbed version. I bought the bibbed and cut the bib off. There is stitching where the bib was sewn on and I just cut bib off right below the stitching. A year later and lots of dives, it’s still holding up well with no fraying where I cut.

I have never seen any fraying in the last few hundred dives.

Thanks for that. Useful to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom