Iberostar or Occidental Grand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Cozumel this spring and need an all inclusive resort. The travel agent at Bay Adventures said the resorts on south end of the island would satisfy our needs. He recommemded the Iberostar over the Grand. He said it is a nicer property. But from a pictorial description of each of the properties I saw online the Grand looked nicer. Does anyone have an opinion on either or both of these resorts?

I seriously doubt if there is a "nicer property" (AI resort) on the island. I have not stayed at the Iberostar but it looks much more like the Occidental Allegro which is very nice but a clear step below the OG. If you do go with Iberostar, search this board for comments on their dive op. OG and Allegro use Dive Palancar which is adequate & reasonably friendly but somewhat conservative on bottom times with shortened surface intervals to accomodate their 4 one tank dives per day schedule. If I do it again, I'll use a different op.

awap:
I seriously doubt if there is a "nicer property" (AI resort) on the island.

Hi AWAP: Thanks for answering my post. Are you recommending the Occidnetal Grand or the IBEROSTAR in the above quote. When I read your reply I was not sure which property you were referring to.

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar a couple of years ago. It is a nice place and beautiful grounds. The beach is not very good so topside most people stay in the pool. I tried to do some snorkeling but there is nothing to see. The food was good for buffet style. If you are planning to eat in one of the ala carte restaurants MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS WHEN YOU CHECK IN and bring a pair of slacks. No shorts in the ala carte places. My wife and I have since started staying at the Royal Hideaway in Playacar. Much nicer, much better food, quieter crowd, and NO KIDS!!! It's a short ferry ride from Cozumel and well worth it. I would stay at the Iberostar again though and without hesitation.

Also, when you check in ask for a downstairs unit. There have been some complaints abouts leaking roofs on the top units due to the type of roof. I will be there the first week of March. It is a good place to go if you have non-divers with you. The beach is adequate and the food is not bad. I have also stayed at the Reef Club and rate the Iberostar a cut above.

dnhill

Texas Diver:
Hi AWAP: Thanks for answering my post. Are you recommending the Occidnetal Grand or the IBEROSTAR in the above quote. When I read your reply I was not sure which property you were referring to.

I recommend the Occidental Grand if budget permits. But I do that with experience in only 3 of the 4 southern resorts. I have not stayed at the Iberostar.

I stayed at the Iberostar 2 years ago and will return there in Feb. I have not stayed at the Allegro or the Grand but from what I've seen and read the Iberostar is right in between with regard to class of resort. The Grand is also quite a bit more expensive.

I have stayed at the Reef Club also and I would rate the southern resorts in this order...Reef, Allegro, Iberostar and then the Grand. If budget permitted I would try the Grand.

Sooner1:
My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar a couple of years ago. It is a nice place and beautiful grounds. The beach is not very good so topside most people stay in the pool. I tried to do some snorkeling but there is nothing to see. The food was good for buffet style. If you are planning to eat in one of the ala carte restaurants MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS WHEN YOU CHECK IN and bring a pair of slacks. No shorts in the ala carte places. My wife and I have since started staying at the Royal Hideaway in Playacar. Much nicer, much better food, quieter crowd, and NO KIDS!!! It's a short ferry ride from Cozumel and well worth it. I would stay at the Iberostar again though and without hesitation.

I'm not going anywhere on Cozumel that requires the wearing of long pants! ;^)

GGUNN,

If it were up to me I wouldn't either. Unfortunately my wife is a non-diver so I have to make a few concessions to go diving while she's by herself. Those include nice restaurants, spa treatments, massages etc. etc... Believe me it makes Mexico damn expensive but it's worth it to me. I'm trying to talk her into getting certified but she's not quite ready yet. She loves to snorkel and I bought her a new digital camera with underwater housing for Christmas. I think she's going to do the intro to scuba at our lds this spring. I know she'll love it but I want her to really want to do it. Anyway you can eat the buffet at dinner in your shorts you just can't go to the FANCY places at Iberostar without slacks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom