Iberostar or Occidental Grand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never stayed that far south, but the resorts both look nice from the dive boats when we are picking up divers. FYI remember if you want to go to town it is a 20.00US cab ride to and from. Better off to rent a car.

My Wife and I stayed at the Iberostar about 6 months ago. My wife is a non-diver so we try to stay where there are things for her to do. While the Iberostar was nice, it was NOT as nice as other AI resorts we have stayed at in Mexico. I would second the thought that it is the 2nd or 3rd best on Cozumel. w/ the Grand being better. We actually had the "room" closest to the dock on the property. We were right next to the Dive Shop and right at the end of the Dock walkway so it was very convenient for me since I travel w/ my own gear. The shop let me use their tanks to rinse off my equipment, even when I dove with PapaHogs.

We had several complaints. Air conditioning did not work well. All restaurants except 1 are open air, so if you are wearing the proper attire (long pants) you can get quite warm. No real "bar" to sit in the evenings, just the lobby bar which is also open air. Fodd was good, service was adequate and staff was friendly

I Dove 2 night dives w/ DresselDivers (who is the Dive Shop for Iberostar) and was not impressed. The staff was friendly enough but dive locations are repetitive and they are a cattle boat operation. For the rest of my dives (6, 2-tank dives) I used PapaHogs because I have used them multiple times and I am comfortable with them. They will pick you up right from the Dock at the Iberostar and there are usually other divers staying there that dive w/ PH.

Hope this helps.

Occidental Grand no question about it. Better beds, better food, better facilities......better time!

Sooner1:
My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar a couple of years ago. It is a nice place and beautiful grounds. The beach is not very good so topside most people stay in the pool.

Hi Sooner. What exactly is the issue with the beach not being good. We need a good beach for sure!

thanks

Texas Diver:
My wife and I are going to Cozumel this spring and need an all inclusive resort. The travel agent at Bay Adventures said the resorts on south end of the island would satisfy our needs. He recommemded the Iberostar over the Grand. He said it is a nicer property. But from a pictorial description of each of the properties I saw online the Grand looked nicer. Does anyone have an opinion on either or both of these resorts?

I was in Coz a couple of weeks ago, and the three different people I talked to said the Iberostar food wasn't that great. Of course everyone has a different idea of what great food is. The couple I visited at the Grand had no complaints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom