Iberostar Cozumel Review including Dressel Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We chose the Iberostar Cozumel to be near great diving AND for family friendly features. I am an experienced diver, my son wanted to get certified, and the wife and daughter don't dive. We were not disappointed! The resort held up to all our expectations.

The room was not huge but we found enough room for a family of 4. Sure, a bigger room would be nicer but we didn't have a problem finding a place for everything. The room was very clean, the bed were typical of Mexican resort beds (a little hard) but not the worst I've seen. The shower was larger and nice with plenty of counter space. The little 'frig with drinks was a great feature. The maid did a great job every day.

We had a little leak in the A/C that caused water on the floor but they were very responsive. They offered us to move rooms but we chose to wait for them to repair the problem which they did very quickly the next morning. I give them an A+ for handling the problem as I've seen the "soon come" attitude too many places with no results.

The food varied from OK to Good to Very Good but never reached Excellent. Look folks, you're in Mexico, the food is NOT going to taste like home. (Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here.) Try something different. We always found something we liked at every meal. The best items are found at the grill, like fresh cooked steak, chicken, mahi-mahi, tuna, etc. every night, or at the Mexican side where they freshly prepare a nightly special item. You should give it a try. Now, we didn't like every single thing we tried as some things were too bland, but set it aside and go try something else. If you demand 5-star dining, look elsewhere.

The Mexican reservation restaurant was disappointing but it wasn't bad. We've had enough good Mexican cuisine to expect a little more, but it wasn't terrible. My son's Chicken Roasted in A Corn Husk was the best item.

The Steak House was very good. My Ribeye was very good, my son's tenderloin was very good, and my daughter's pork chops were very good. The service was nice and we decided this is the best dining in the resort so make this your special meal of the week.

Breakfast were very passable with lots of fruits, eggs, waffles, donuts, cereal, juices, and other choices. Lunch had plenty to keep kids and adults happy unless your main desire is salad. My wife felt the salad choices could be better, but I always found several good items. There was pizza, pasta, burgers, mexican, grilled items, veggies, and other assorted items. If you are vegetarian you should be in good shape, there are lots of veggies at every meal. If you have allergies, especially to onions, you might have problems since most foods are prepared ahead, many with onions.

The pools are nice and very clean. Swim-up bar was very good with some premium liquors but then other missing. I guess it's hit or miss on your favorites, just be flexible. Be sure to ask for the bartender's special. The wife said the margaritas were disappointing but loves the mojitos.

Dressel Divers was GREAT! We got my 14 year old son PADI scuba certified (after eLearning online) while we were there. I have been certified for many years and was cautious about training there, but they did an extremely thorough job on his instruction. His Instructor, Vanessa, a French girl, was extremely positive and made sure he knew everything he needed to be a good diver. She spent a greeat deal of time on buoyancy control. I would strongly recommend her for any diver training.

I dove with Bjorn (German) who had been there about 6 months. He was a fantastic guide in leading safe dives with a great positive attitude. He's a marine biologist who loves all the creatures found in the waters around Cozumel and great at helping everyone have a great dive. We were on one of two good sized boats going out 4-5 times daily. No matter which boat, the dive groups were 4-8 divers with a guide. When you or your buddy ran low on air, the guide shot an SMB until you are back on the boat while the rest of the divers continue on their dive. We had really long dives limited only by our air consumption.

I felt the whole staff at Dressel was very focused on outstanding customer service. I would highly recommend Dressel to everyone who wants great, casual diving with plenty of service and guidance. For those who just want a ride to the reef and to be left alone, you likely will be happier with one of the smaller local shops. I did see Dive with Martin picking up people here almost every day. Either way, Iberostar is a great place to stay because you are just 5 minutes to some of the best diving in the world. Personally, I could repeatedly dive Columbia and Palancar reefs for the rest of my life!

The beach was nice but we spent most of our time around the very nice pools. The beach is rocky so everyone snorkels off the pier. It works great because there are nice steps down to the water. There are hundreds of snapper, grunts, sergeant majors, chub, and a baracuda under the pier. Bring some bread for extra feeding fun! We also found starfish, flounder, and plenty of fun stuff for my younger daughter to spot. We didn't need any other outing to keep her happy in her desire to snorkel with the fishes.

The resort grounds are beautiful and the many creatures we discovered were thrilling to the kids.... frogs, iguana, peacocks, flamingos, cats, etc. The whole property was in good repair, cleaned, and well kept. The only experience we had with the spa were massages on the beach...an excellent way to spend 30-60 minutes!

All the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly. After several trips to Jamaica and the "island time" slow attitude, we found Iberostar Cozumel to be refreshing. The service was very good and the staff is obviously well trained. We will likely return in the near future.

Is this a world class, 5 star resort? No, but the price is excellent and it is an excellent resort for the money, and exceeds some more expensive resorts in the Caribbean. For families, this is an excellent choice. Let's say it's a 4-star family resort, 5-star if you adjust for price-value. Email me if you have questions.

Last edited:
Nice trip report. I'd say your assessment of the Iberostar & Dressel is quite close to mine. I didn't take any instruction from them but did talk to several guests that did & things sounded like they were getting good instruction. I'm impressed that all 4 of you didn't feel a bit cramped in a single room. Room size there is about the biggest factor when recommending it to families.

Larry

Thanks for the report. I stayed there years ago (before the hurricane wrecked it) and sounds like they have rebuilt to the same standards I had. My parents have gone to several of the Iberostar resorts on the main land side and have nothing but good things to say. From their description the food may be better over there.

Congratulations on getting a new dive buddy!

Excellent trip report. Much the same as our experiences, though they did dive us on a clock when we were there. Afternoons were 45 minutes then surface, regardless of air. Very glad they aren't doing that anymore.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on ScubaBoard!

I recently visited Mexico for the first time, spent 8 days @ the Iberostar Pariso Beach just north of Playa. We booked our Holiday on a Friday night and left Saturday afternoon. With the intent of relaxing on the beach, snorkeling and a Discover Scuba Dive for my girlfriend we ended up taking it a step further.

The first Discover Scuba pool session got my girlfriend hooked and with the guidance, awesome service, patience and flexibility of Dressel Divers my girlfriend became a PADI OW Diver!

At first I was a little hesitant of having my girlfriend take her OW at a resort, but the instructors did everything by the book, there was no way of getting certified without proving yourself.

Our first two open water dives were done off the coast of Playa and were spectacular, however after hearing so much about the diving of Cozumel we decided to do our last to open water dives in Cozumel..... They were amazing! After the skills with plenty of air remaining our instructor took us on an amazing drift dive!

Vince our last instructor was awesome, encouraging, patient and very knowledgeable. My girlfriend was having trouble with her mask on the final dive, it seemed the have developed a leak so Vince at 30 ft offered to switch with my girlfriend. The leak was minor but persistant and was making my girlfriend miss the experience of the drift dive. During the switch my girlfriend managed to knock out her regulator and not having a mask on I began to get concerned. Both Vince and myself were right there holding on to her during the switch and Vince quickly grabbed his primary reg and offered it to her, but with clam thinking and good instruction she managed to quickly grab her own primary and then replace the mask. To me it showed genuine, caring, concern and professionalism.

The open water class was essentially a private class with not just one instructor but many. Every instructor pitched in, was extremely helpful and it was like having a instructor / Student Ratio of 10:1.

After visiting both the Iberostar Parisio and Cozumel I have to say I much preferred the Pariso (just north of Playa). It was far bigger with much more to do, a greater variety of food and a spectacular beach. Both resorts were immaculate and the staff was exceptional in every way.

The quality and variety of diving is far superior in Cozumel hands down, if that is all you are going for Cozumel is definitely the place to stay, however if you are with a family and wish to experience more of Mexico I would suggest staying on the Playa side as Cozumel is just a short ferry ride away.

Thanks to all our instructors Vince, Matt, Ryan, Tom, Emilio and others!

We are now both slated to take our Drysuit Specialty, AOW, Nitrox and Rescue diver this summer in COLD Vancouver B.C. Canada!

Thumbs up for Dressel Divers and Iberostar Pariso / Cozumel

We did Iberostar once and only once. The hotel for the sake of a hotel is fine. Most of the "features" offered (such as beach toys) were a hassel.

Ever since we have been renting homes on Cozumel for our family of 5 + friends. Comes out cheaper and no one to complain about service since we handle it all ourselves.

Dressel really annoyed us and got black listed by us because of the comments the staff had adout the dive operation we were using.

I will concur that the food was decent and being able to run in and get a burger just about any time was a good feature but for the price, I think we are better off renting a house on the beach and being away from the crowds.

And to each their own...

Some people like AI resorts because, like me, they don't want to have to spend their precious vacation time performing the day-to-day chores of living at home, like cooking/cleaning/shopping/driving/etc...

You pay a higher price for the AI experience to avoid all of those domestic responsibilities.

On the flip-side, renting in a neighborhood does offer the benefit of lower cost, more privacy and more independence.

There are pros/cons to either approach...

For us, the AI feature of the Iberostar is perfect. I like that the kids, wife and I can get drinks and snacks at any time without adding on the bill or tracking tickets. With teenagers that eat every 4 hours it sure is nice!

If I was going for a dive only vacation, I might stay at Scuba Club to be nearer downtown. But then again the short 5-minute ride from the Iberostar to all the best dive sites is really great. We went back to the resort for a drink/snack/potty break between every dive. If you wanted to go on just 1 dive it was fine, just check in and jump on the boat for that 1 dive. Now that's handy.

Back
Top Bottom