IANTD or SSI ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a choice of these 2 for my Nitrox course (basic Nitrox), for the same price. Does anyone have any opinions?

One or two of the agencies' Nitrox courses don't include any actual diving. I *thought* that SSI was one of them but it could have been SDI. I'm not 100% sure so you'll hvae to check into it.

At any rate, in terms of theory it doesn't matter but I would shy away from a Nitrox course that skips the diving.

R..

Agree with Diver0001, definitely do a Nitrox course with actual diving.

I haven't seen the SSI course materials, but I was impressed with IANTD material that I reviewed. Did Nitrox with PDIC, but I was fortunate to receive IANTD and ANDI course books as well. Though no one manual was the best, the explanations and samples for the theory/calcalculations section was better in IANTD for me. While all the information was the same, IANTD has a better layout, better and more examples. Helped pick up and retain the information better.

Disclaimer: the IANTD and ANDI materials were from a few years back, so that may have changed.

junko:
I have a choice of these 2 for my Nitrox course (basic Nitrox), for the same price. Does anyone have any opinions?

I can't comment on SSI but SDI's nitrox course is actually TDI's and Diver0001 is correct there are no dives required, just theory.
I took my nitrox through IANTD and I found it very thorough and complete and like Diver0001 suggested they should both cover the basics. Maybe let your choice of instructor to influence your decision.
1 little note though. IANTD were founded by Dick Rutowski who practically invented nitrox training in sport diving so they have a certain credability.

I would take IANTD without any doubt. I had SSI nitrox but my instructor was also IANTD one. So I had a combination of both and IANTD materials and knowledge was much better than SSI. And at least here with IANTD it does include 2 dives
Mania

I did PDIC Nitrox and did two dives . . . maybe it was my instructor and not a PDIC requirement.

I did the IANTD nitrox and sat in on my son's SSI class. While both classes covered the needed material, the iantd class was a bit harder in that it required more mathmatical calculations than the ssi course. Either will be fine, but I would lean toward the iantd class if you have any plans of going on to adv nitrox, deco, tech, ect. I think the iantd class does a better job at laying the groundwork for further study.

Back
Top Bottom