IANTD Normoxic Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucid

Contributor
Reaction score
Have a question about the course. My instructor stated that the certification is good for mixes down to around %16-18 Oxygen ( I forget the exact number). He said that you can breath mixes on the surface that lean so it isn't concidered Hypoxic. Is this true?

Hypoxic would mean anything below 21% but yea, he's probably right as far as how IANTD sees it. You can breath down to 16% on the surface safely.

WW

We could not dive with less than 20% in class, per IANTD standards, and that is what the cert is for.

Phil

lucid once bubbled...
WW,

Thats what I thought. WW what are your thoughts about it? Should Normoxic Trimix divers stay above %16 or %21?

Whichever your cert allows. The training should cover trimix in general, not just normoxic trimix.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Whichever your cert allows. The training should cover trimix in general, not just normoxic trimix.

WW

Agree, but, with IANTD at least, its a two step process. I would have no problem using 18%, but I would hesitate to go below that without more information concerning travel gas.
They also would not go above 30% He which I thought was dumb.

Phil

I think thats the "Trick" with the "NORMoxic" trimix. An O2 % of 21 is standard for the mixes giving you the benafits of useing He but not condoning the realy deep dives where lower O2 would be needed. One could see it as more corses for more money or just a perventative measure to make sure divers get experience inbetween levels of training.

IANTD Normoxic on the Inspiration allows down to 18%, Would imagine the OC one is the same

16% is not safe for everyone, some will have problems that low

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom