i300 Inaccurate Temp readings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAB110

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all - i have posted the question below on the "Manufacturer Q & A" area for Aqualung, but also wanted to ask if any fellow divers have seen the same thing, or have advice (like, "yes, this is common - don't use it for that", or "no, this should work better than this"...) Thanks

- I am a newly certified diver, and the shop where i certified recommended the i300 dive computer, which i bought from them. The first time i used it was on my 4 cert dives over the weekend of May 6/7 at Lake Denton in Avon Park, FL. Well, my computer registered temps of 87 and 88 for those days, where as, everyone else's registered 82. Then, the following Friday (5/12), i did 2 dives in the gulf and my computer again logged a temp of 87. I spoke to the shop owners where i bought the computer and they said fluctuation was normal and it's not typically all that precise. They also suggested that it may "self calibrate" over time. I find this very disappointing, not just because it seems poor for such new technology, but since i was advised during training to keep my log up to date with wetsuit thicknesses and water temps so that, over time, i get a feel for how much wetsuit i need to stay warm.

Has anyone else found this issue with the i300? Or am i just misunderstanding the use of this information and i really should be getting the water temps from an outside source? I checked the manual and it said that this should be the lowest temp reached, but it's pretty unlikely that the gulf was 87 degrees at 30 feet on May 12 (near Venice Beach). Thanks

Back
Top Bottom