I was thinking that DIR was crap......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

give it up.

You can't 'bug' DIR. (or 'spearfish' DIR either, for that matter...)

:D

Or so some say. Others disagree.

Spend some time with Lamont's links. Read Jarrod's fundies book - easiest and fastest is to download the PDF file here:
Books and Calendars | Global Underwater Explorers

You'll either convince yourself or you won't.

Mostly what other people say has only marginal relevance to the decisions you finally make.

Best,

Doc

give it up.

You can't 'bug' DIR. (or 'spearfish' DIR either, for that matter...)

:D

Or so some say. Others disagree.

Pahh... One diver points out most suitable lingcod, buddy shoots it. Done.

Pahh... One diver points out most suitable lingcod, buddy shoots it. Done.

I've never seen a good description of spearing the DIR way. Where would the sharp pointy knife go? Where would the stringer go? Where would the catch bag go?

I thought it was a system, you can't pick and choose what DIR methods that need to be followed.

I''m sorta jumping in here late in the conversation, but I'd just like to state one thing . . .

. . . the only time you will ever find me under that much dirt is when my poor old aching, tired body has finisned its nitrogen cycle here on earth and my descendents have interred me unto the ground.

I * WILL * NEVER * GO * CAVE * DIVING !!!!

However, there are so many things in the DIR regimen that make it so obvious to some of us.

I was a pilot for the U.S. Army. I flew helicopters in Viet Nam for two tours.

One thing the program taught us was protocol.

The first time I was ever shot down, it never occurred to me to do anything other that that which had been drilled into my head over, and over, and over, and over.

I'm still alive.

All I do is recreational diving with a little bit of "light" wreck penetration. But many of the configurations which the DIR family put forth I find quite applicable to recreational diving.

Rock on, guys . . .

the K-ave Ain't Gonna Happen

I've never seen a good description of spearing the DIR way. Where would the sharp pointy knife go? Where would the stringer go? Where would the catch bag go?

I thought it was a system, you can't pick and choose what DIR methods that need to be followed.

Seriously, this isn't rocket science...

Lobstering is certainly easier than spearing, but here's how we make either work. If spearing, only one diver shoots, the other serves as the lookout (when bugging, either can grab bugs, but only one at a time, that is, both divers shouldn't be digging into holes at the same time). Catch bag is rolled up and clipped off to the rear d-ring. It's only deployed once something is caught, and after that, remains deployed (in hand) for the entire dive. It's always ditchable. It can be passed between divers if needed. Pointy knife goes on the waist strap in lieu of the usual broken tip steak knife. When spearing flounder, we'll usually just put them in the catch bag (no stringer), once brained. On the dives where we need a stringer, we've placed it on the left d-ring (where stages would go). It sits well and allows unhindered access to the SPG. All the usual DIR issues of buddy awareness and team focus apply. A lot of this is exactly how DIR photographers approach their dives. Ideally, a team of three would be employed, but in our shallow Cape Ann waters (usually <30'), two seems quite fine. I really fail to see how these dives are not DIR. We don't really approach them too differently than our usual dives, which I'd like to think are pretty DIR.

It's....hunting I guess, but about as practical as three guys walking side by side through the woods squirrel hunting. It's just not as effective....but it's hunting, I guess.

It's....hunting I guess, but about as practical as three guys walking side by side through the woods squirrel hunting. It's just not as effective....but it's hunting, I guess.

And not being willing to solo dive isn't as "effective" either (means I don't dive as often as I could), but it's a compromise some of us are willing to make for what WE take to be safety. Don't really care what others do. This works for us. In most cases, we might take a catch bag, and if we see legal lobsters, great, we'll take 'em and deploy the bag, otherwise, it remains out of sight and we dive as usual. When walking through the woods, you don't usually have the possibility of running out of breathing gas...

Edit: And while I'll agree this is less efficient for spearfishing from how it's "normally" practiced, I fail to see how it's any less effective for lobstering, assuming two people are buddy diving as opposed to multiple solo divers. We're pretty darn efficient when we want to grab bugs.

It's much much easier in our part of the world: spearfishing, lobstering and any other underwater hunting activity using scuba equipment or surface supplied breathing gas is forbiden. Take nothing, leave only bubbles. IMO destroying marine life is incompatible with scuba diving, especialy DIR diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom