I was attacked by a Nurse Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar thing happen on a dive. only the nurse shark rubbed on me like a cat, through my legs, brushing my arm. I stayed calm and it swam with us for a bit. My theory is that divers have been feeding them speared lionfish, trying to get them to eat them on their own. They are beautiful creatures.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

I would have pissed myself for sure..
icosm14.gif

Mmmm...don't we all? At least in the ocean... :D

I had a similar thing happen on a dive. only the nurse shark rubbed on me like a cat, through my legs, brushing my arm. I stayed calm and it swam with us for a bit. My theory is that divers have been feeding them speared lionfish, trying to get them to eat them on their own. They are beautiful creatures.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

I would have pissed myself for sure..
icosm14.gif

haha nice, I wasn't prepared to let it get that close.

The previous day, I killed 7 lionfish (speared several more which got away) and not a single shark showed itself. Go figure.

I have been as politely as possible, "bopping" nurse sharks on the head since 1977 when they have approached too close.
I love them.
They are not puppies.
They are dangerous.
They are wild animals.
They like to steal Lions from me.
They REALLY like stealing lobster hotels laying on the bottom unattended.
It's always a pleasure to see a wild shark of any kind.

Chug
Has been bullied, by, stolen from, and scared by, various sharks.

nice video!

nurse sharks "usually" shy away but often they are, like this one, creatures with an inquisitive nature. That little shark was just checking out what big noisy bubble making animal this thing was! If I had a dollar for every nurse shark I've pushed away, I'd be retired and diving every day.

thanks for sharing.........nurse sharks remind me of big catfish..

nice video!

nurse sharks "usually" shy away but often they are, like this one, creatures with an inquisitive nature. That little shark was just checking out what big noisy bubble making animal this thing was! If I had a dollar for every nurse shark I've pushed away, I'd be retired and diving every day.

I thought you were? :)

So how do you guys handle the curious nurse shark? When you push them, what's the safest technique?

---------- Post added June 11th, 2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

It just wanted a kiss! Lol

No thanks, I've seen that video! It didn't turn out well for the diver.
[video=youtube;U9Fc-TvUdwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Fc-TvUdwk[/video]

Are you under the impression that those sharks are harmless?

They are----from a death standpoint----isn't that what it's all about....I mean making it back to be able to go to work the next day????------:)

I've pushed nurse sharks away from the side of their head as well as pushing them either up from underneath or down from above. Gently though. They quickly see "no food here" and meander off.

Now, I've pushed more aggressive/dangerous sharks away more aggressively. In the case of a few bulls and even one big hammerhead, I admittedly poked 'em with a speargun. Not hard but just enough to say "I AM NOT FOOD....I"M A PREDATOR".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom