I want to purchase an O2 Analyzer any advice for. First time buyer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vilinsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to purchase an o2 analyzer, I'm a first time buyer, any advice on what to look for, type of o2 all purpose analyzer, best brand, etc.....
Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.
Vlad

I echo the above. Make sure you get the 10 turn pot option or parts

If you're not interested in soldering and messing with building an analyzer you can get one for about $150 more including shipping. Your time is worth something.

Yes -- I'll second Rob's post.

It's a long story which has NOTHING to do with the device, but we just found ourselves replacing our Oxycheq analyzer. I ordered the El Cheapo, thinking that I'd had fun putting together Radio Shack kits years ago. I can solder, and I can assemble.

What it turns out I didn't have the tools or the know-how to do was to cut precisely machined rectangular and round holes in very hard plastic. To my absolute drop-jawed astonishment, the box itself is not machined AT ALL. You have to orient the contents, mark the spaces, and figure out how to cut perfect openings for everything. I did not own a miniature hacksaw, which had to be purchased, as well as a tiny soldering gun AND special solder . . . and since the instructions tell me to do some things that don't match what I'm looking at at all, I'm going to have some interesting challenges ONCE I GET THE DARNED CASE DONE.

Had I had ANY idea of how totally DIY this was, I would have chucked the extra couple hundred at Oxycheq very cheerfully. Not only is my time worth something, but I've only got so much stomach lining.

What it turns out I didn't have the tools or the know-how to do was to cut precisely machined rectangular and round holes in very hard plastic.

I've seen one other person say this recently.
It confuses me, to be honest. I've built a few El Cheapos now. I marked the component
locations with a Sharpie and cut the holes with a Dremel in about 10 minutes.

as well as a tiny soldering gun AND special solder . . .

Again, not special as far as I can see. A standard fine tipped electronics soldering gun and electronic solder.

If someone is willing to build the kit I would expect them to have these tools already. If not they're extremely inexpensive at a place like Harbor Freight.

I wouldn't want people put off thinking the El Cheapo is difficult to build, because it really isn't in my opinion. However, that's just my opinion.

-Adrian

Last edited:
If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, the el cheapo is the way to go.

I built one of theirs, then I built another by ordering every part from individual sources on the Internet.

There's something to be said about building your own and understanding how and why it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom