I want to get a Whites Fusion Tech drysuit. What is the best Dry Glove system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to buy a new Whites Fusion drysuit with the tech skin. What dryglove system is best for it? I already have the SI-tech QCP system and I like it so far. Should I transfer it to the fusion or is there a better permanent system for the fusion? Should I get a factory installed option?

What about the replaceable silicone seals? Can I use my dry gloves with those? Should I even get those? Help me. I can't figure it out. I want to buy one suit to use for a long time.

Thanks

---------- Post added December 16th, 2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

One more question. Can I have replaceable seals and a dryglove system?

If you get the user-replaceable seal system for the wrists, you will have to use a SiTech glove system. There are, I believe, three; there is the rubber glove that simply stretches over the ring, the Quick Glove, which is what I have, and the Glove Lock. People who can use the simple glove seem to be happy with it, but it doesn't work if you have very small hands, and if the arms of the suit are a bit long for you. The Quick Glove I loathed when I got it, but after replacing the o-ring with a smaller one and learning to lick the fitting before mating the glove to the suit, I have had no further problems. (Still like my Viking rings better, but they aren't an option.) The Quick Glove seems to be popular with people who have very large hands.

I have a zillion dives - okay, maybe 700 or so? On the Quick Glove system. I am apparently an anomaly, in that I've never had a glove flood. So of course, I love them!

I've only had to modify them by attaching some tiny squares of grip tape:

SiTech_Grip_Tape.jpg

I still use factory o-rings, which is why I probably need the grip tape, to get them started turning to get them off about one dive in 5.

My technical diving buddy, Merlin, has the Quick Locks, which are quite a bit bigger. He's occasionally had them lock up because of grit or something, but with his big hands, it's what he's stuck with.

Sadly, I have not heard good things about the Antares cuffs, even from the Si-Tech folks! Lots of comments about slow leaks. I have not dove these, however, so I will personally reserve judgement.

I have used zipper wax on my Quick Glove rings, and they slip on and off nicely. When I forget, the licking of the rings works fine, as Lynne suggests.

All the best, James

I have the Si-tech QCP rings on my other suit. Should I just get the regular latex wrist seals on the fusion and apply these gloves, or can I use a fusion replaceable seal system along with drygloves? I like the idea of replaceable seals so I can do it in the field if I have to but I have to have dry gloves.

I just got the Antares system by Si-Tech for my Fusion. It allows silicon seals. I wanted it because I didn't want the large ring anymore and the oval fit the bill perfectly. I will see how it does long term, regarding leaks. It is double o-ringed.

Your glove system is listed here.
SITech Dry Glove Quick Cuff System

Also get the Neck Tite system so you can have silicon necks seals.

Of course unless you carry spare seals, the point of replaceable seals is useless.

I am not sold on the Tech Skin myself, as I do not like the pockets at all.

Regarding the tech skin. I am not a tech diver now and don't really use the pockets. I might put my smb and reel on one or spare mask. Will they fit that? I was looking at this over the bullet skin because of the faster dry time and lighter weight for travel.

I want to buy a new Whites Fusion drysuit with the tech skin. What dryglove system is best for it? I already have the SI-tech QCP system and I like it so far. Should I transfer it to the fusion or is there a better permanent system for the fusion? Should I get a factory installed option?

What about the replaceable silicone seals? Can I use my dry gloves with those? Should I even get those? Help me. I can't figure it out. I want to buy one suit to use for a long time.

Thanks

---------- Post added December 16th, 2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

One more question. Can I have replaceable seals and a dryglove system?

If you are going to order your Whites Fusion Tech drysuit, I think you should order it with factory installed Si Tech Neck Tite System(#60178) and permanent cuff system, either QCS Oval(#60918) or Quick Cuff(#60915). The factory installed package with silicone seals only costs you $250. If you feel like to do it later, it would cost you $400.

As others said, the Si Tech Quick Lock dry gloves system is huge, I don't like it at all. I sold my Quick Lock dry gloves and just use Quick Cuff #60915 with 4th Element 3mm semi-dry gloves.

I have dropped by the Si Tech booth during DEMA 2012 and examined their new Antares Dry Gloves system. I liked the low profile of QCS Oval ring and the quick, easy donning and doffing of Antares Dry Gloves. If I could do it over again, I definitely will go with QCS Oval and Antares.

Since you already have owned a Si Tech QCP system, maybe you want to order your Fusion suit with Neck Tite and Quick Cuff installed by Whites. There are links from Si Tech for your reference:

SI TECH Neck Systems
Modular Quick Change Solutions

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Terry

It's true that it doesn't help you if you don't carry spare seals -- but a ziplock bag with a set of spare seals doesn't occupy much space in the Save-a-Dive kit, and I take one with me anytime I travel with my suit. At home, I figure a blown dive is one I can do tomorrow . . .

I routinely carry wetnotes in one of my Tech skin pockets, and a pre-rigged SMB and spool in the other. Sometimes I have a spare mask in with the wetnotes, or when I'm teaching, I have a roll-up snorkel, whistle and mirror in that pocket. In cave country, I've stuffed three or four spools and a pigtail with my markers into a pocket. They're very stretchy and have a lot of capacity.

The negatives of the pockets are that, if you take the top of the suit down on land and walk around with your pockets loaded, they will head for your ankles (snugging up the suspenders helps, but doesn't completely avoid the problem). In addition, in cold water, the soft, floppy flaps on the pockets are very difficult to feel with thick or dry gloves, and the soft, stretchy pocket opening is hard to find, if you have to restow anything. (I have concluded that putting things BACK in pockets at home is simply a team responsibility :) )

Regarding the tech skin. I am not a tech diver now and don't really use the pockets. I might put my smb and reel on one or spare mask. Will they fit that? I was looking at this over the bullet skin because of the faster dry time and lighter weight for travel.
Once you have pockets you will not be able to live without them, and carrying safety gear has nothing to do with tech diving.

I stuff my pockets full. Left pocket has my SMB pre-rigged to a spool, car key if I drive, whistle, Dive Alert, mirror, with a Nautilus Lifeline stuffed in somehow. Right pocket carries my wetnotes, shears, and my spare mask. Everything is clipped off to bungee cord inside the pockets, with either double enders, or bolt snaps tied on using caveline.

The challenge I also have is when surface swimming hard, I have a yard sale of the smaller stuff in my left pocket. Well and I can't feel the pocket flap in my dry gloves. Tomorrow I have a bunch of sewing to do and will try to get my pockets upgraded to XS Scuba's much stiffer pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom