I want to dive the Duane.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humpinit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I really want to dive the Duane. Is there any guides that dive this place or is it all on your own if you go on a charter? Is it too deep for an open water cert? I free dive above it quite often and just want to see what its like down there.

I really want to dive the Duane.

Me, too!!!

Is there any guides that dive this place or is it all on your own if you go on a charter? Is it too deep for an open water cert? I free dive above it quite often and just want to see what its like down there.

Have you had your Advanced Open Water? What are your depth limits?

The Duane deck, IIRC, is at 90 feet, and it's 120' to the sand. There is a lot to see at 90' and up.

Of course, do NOT go in unless you have been trained. There are several charters that make the trip, such as Silent World. Talk to them, and ask about people like you and how they normally make the dive. At that depth, you will have about 12-16 minutes bottom time on an AL 80.

Dove the Duane with Horizon divers. Did not want to instabuddy so hired a private DM. (I had AOW at that time and a number of dives around 100 fsw)

Yeah, I don't have the Advanced yet. I should probably stick to the shallow reefs for now.

If you are not AOW, you will have to hire a guide.
Or you can go there as part of your AOW class.

Reactions: Jax
Yeah, I don't have the Advanced yet. I should probably stick to the shallow reefs for now.

The Duane is a great dive. The deck is actually a little over 100 feet. The wreck is known for frequent brisk currents. Having more experience at depth/AOW is a good idea. You really should also be nitrox certified.

I did it only once. It was an incredibly easy and relaxing dive. My son was 15 at the time I think - someday we may have to get him an AOW card..

I know how the currents can be on the surface. A lot of times we will set up drift while spearing. I need to look into getting the aow so I can get down there. On a clear day it looks like a picture from above. And looks massive. I can only imagine how massive it actually is up close.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom