I want in!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am flirting dangerously (dangerously flirting?) with setting myself a goal of becoming a full service Forensics Diver.

Located in Puget Sound area of Washington State, already OW certified.

With whom, where & how do I get started on this goal in my area? (I acknoledge that various portions of said training would probably occur in other states.)

Let's assume I am prepared to immediately begin on an AOW cert and go from there.

Advice, thoughts, ?'s, concerns all welcomed. Feel free to throw it all at me; good, bad, insane, whatever. I welcome recommendations for seemingly unrelated certs (are there really any unrelated certs?) or experience you deem important and why.

I am not now, nor have I ever been (a member of the . . .) in law enforcement or public safety. But trust me when I say I am a lightening fast learner. Skill sets include science, math, physics, chemistry, computers, critical thinking - and I can even rather artfully employ the Enlish language when needed. (OK, starting to sound like a resume . . . )

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts.

Cheers.
TSL

Consider taking a four year degree program from Florida State University (Panama City, FL). Information is online at: FSU-Panama City | UCSI

Best of luck!

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
DiveRescueIntl.com

Welcome aboard.

Get in with a Public Service Dive team first. Then see what it is all about and if you still want to do it. This is not enjoyable diving at it's best. It would be a shame to spend a good percentage of your life in school only to find out you can't get a job in the field. Even freelance would be very tough if you don't have a network setup.

Good luck

Gary D.

I agree with Gary D. Get on a team first and see if you like it. About the only good thing about being on a Public Safety Dive team is the Camaraderie with your teammates. The diving is nasty at best, it is hard WORK (yes, WORK--not fun diving) and to get good it takes years of dedicated training. If you like diving thats a good thing, but in my experience I have seen seasoned divers quite diving after being involved in Public Safety Diving.

If you have any questions, PM me, and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk.

Reguards,

Matt

In our area (Oregon) our fire dept handles body recovery and searching for weapons, etc.

I would check with your local fire & police/sheriff departments.

drdaddy

In our area (Oregon) our fire dept handles body recovery and searching for weapons, etc.

I would check with your local fire & police/sheriff departments.

drdaddy

That's pretty much the way most of the country does it. I don't know of any locations that don't go through an emergency service organization for the investigations. Some contract out but it is still under the control of a government agency. Even if a person were to contract out don't count on making a living at it. I'd bet it would be worse pay than a new DM.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom