I wanna get close!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've got this overwhelming urge for macro photos. Rather than upgrading my current camera, I'm thinking of waiting a year or so to see what comes up (Oly6060/7070? Even cheaper and better DSLRs?).

Anyone out there used the oly pcu-01 or pcu-02 (which fits my camera housing)? Does it work strictly by magnification, or does it work by allowing you to get closer or is it a little of both? If it works by magnification, are there limitations in the distance from the subject you have to be? It'd be quite handy if it magnifies a picture from 12-18 inches, allowing you to get a focused image, as well as from 6-8 inches and such. Do you have to be a set distance from your subject or will it work at the slightly further distances?

I'd like some feedback on thse lenses if possible. They may satisfy my needs for a while. Right now I need to get in the habit of checking my f stops and trying to max out my depth of field. This is about the best I can do without any specialty lenses. Image is cropped.

later

Steve

What camera/housing do you have now?

From what I understand the macro lenses require you to get physically closer. Go to Digital Diver and do a search for macro lenses. There was recently a great thread on them with photos.

I don't use a macro lens but some of the others here to. TedJ and Reyer both come to mind. Maybe they'll chime in with some useful info.

Currently have the Oly d-40 with the pt-012 housing. Might as well learn as much as I can with it before I even think about upgrading. Macro lens first, then maybe a good strobe that'll work well when I upgrade.

later

Steve

Dee:
What camera/housing do you have now?

From what I understand the macro lenses require you to get physically closer. Go to Digital Diver and do a search for macro lenses. There was recently a great thread on them with photos.

I don't use a macro lens but some of the others here to. TedJ and Reyer both come to mind. Maybe they'll chime in with some useful info.

With one macro lens, you can get closer to the subject with a bit of magnification ie in macro mode, you can get as close as 4 inches instead of 8 inches on C4040, C5050. I started playing with 2 macro lens stacked on top of each other and I can get better magnification although depth of field is quite limited and focusing can be quite difficult sometimes. I set my zoom at 80mm for easier focusing rather 105mm with stacked macro. In comparison to 105 macro lens on SLR camera, I can't get quite as close or as much magnification but for the price and flexibility, I am quite satisfied.
Here are a couple of shots with stacked macro.

fa668086.jpg

fa218b1e.jpg

ssra....why do you prefer the stacked macros to the super macro mode on the 5050?

Dee:
ssra....why do you prefer the stacked macros to the super macro mode on the 5050?

Dee, with super macro, the lens is fixed, probably somewhere around 50-60mm so you cannot use a zoom. Initially I thought that super macro would be really good for macro but I found that with fixed lens, it is not nearly as flexible as I would like.
Beside, having stacked macro sticking out of the housing looks so much cooler than an empty port with no adornment :eyebrow:

Oops....I'm getting all you guys confused! wink

I also used stacked macro lenses on this last trip and loved the results! Less expensive than buying the one macro lens too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom