I Tried Sidemount for the First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The underarm bungees were a little tight...

Bungees need to be quite taut in order to provide the correct positioning of the valve-end of the cylinders and enable proper cylinder trim.

What you can do is investigate different bungee materials and designs - some with more/less elastic properties, old-school configuration, continuous configuration etc. You may find you have a preference that works best for you.

...and I had trouble with the remove and reconnect drills.

This is, in my experience, what most novice sidemount divers have the most problems with. It's largely an issue of muscle-memory and hand coordination. It can cause more than it's fair share of huffing and puffing initially - but soon becomes an easy routine skill.

That said, choice of bungee material and design can make things easier or harder. Likewise, there's a few 'tricks of the trade' that help make connect/reconnect bungees around the cylinders much easier as a skill. A well-versed, expert, sidemount instructor should quickly put you to task with these...

When one adds a 40CF EAN50 deco bottle and perhaps an O2 bottle, how difficult is it to get to the leg pockets to deploy a DSMB or retrieve the spare mask?

As others have mentioned, one popular solution is to carry items in a detachable pouch (see here for example) - secured to rear D-rings with double-end snaps. Thigh pockets are problematic with sidemount and stages/deco.

razor_expandable_pouch_front.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom