I tried my new BP/Wings this weekend and had some problems- HELP!!!(REALLY REAL LONG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot,

You're getting some good pointers on this thread.
First of all, you were task loaded when you walked in the pool. Take it easy and slow down. It took me two hours to get everything setup (I thought) for my first pool session with wings, backplate, and doubles. Once in the water I was the worst cluster you ever saw. Rolling with the wing, wanting to turn turtle, and generally unhappy. Fortunately, I had some mentoring and folks to work with me and help with adjustments. Now everthing feels natural and efficient.

You may also appreciate why most folks getting BOW Cert are discouraged from dealing with continuous webbing harness BP/Wing. It takes time and patience to get everything adjusted and the diver comfortable with the configuration. The "average" instructor has his hands full with skills development and not able to devote the time and energy necessary working a new student through setting this gear up.

I would suggest backing up to a minimum configuration. Leave off the wet suit and just deal with the least variables. Only change one thing at a time and assess the results. Get someone to work with you in the water that can observe and look for problems you may be overlooking.

Good Luck,

Larry

Windknot,

Where are you located in Michigan? I dive a Halcyon BP/STA/weights and would be happy to get into the pool w/ you and give you a hand.

I'm in the West Bloomfield area.

Jack

I can't believe you haven't seen my ACB/soft weight rants in the past :D

Luckily I now have a single piece STA (thanks FredT!), so I only need 5lb of lead in each ACB+ pocket, which is easy to slip in and out. Still way way better than a weightbelt for me. I love them. Give them some time.

Your post was GREAT... but I wanted to point out some things your REALLY did RIGHT!!!

1) Tried things out in a pool first. Not many do that (sometimes, me included)

2) Had an instructor close by.

3) Made some great observations AND conclusions!

4) Actually learned something!

5) Had further questions to ask after the fact.

6) Did not get too frustrated and just give up!

Going slow is good, and most changes are best when done a little at a time. Keep tuned into your attitude and a lot of things will just start to "work". The first time I dove with doubles, I did not know which way was up. Now, I am not so sure what the problem was. Go figure. Do some more pool dives, and you will get there soon enough.

I second netdoc's statements. Absolutely first rate account, objective and most informative. Also humorous, do you write for Comedy Central or something?

Anyway, good luck with the bat wings, and if anybody can figure it out, I'd bet on you.

Back
Top Bottom