I think I'll Pass (this time)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter C has it right. His family has the password to his website, I'll be making some
simple "what happened" updates in the next day or two. We are working the technical
aspects of having prints made that match with Kawika's view of what they should
look like.

I'm really glad to hear that Kawika's website will stay up.
It would've been such a shame for his pictures and wit to no longer be available to divers in general..

Reference to a Dive Guide for Monterey - http://www.sendmilesaway.com/home - that I came across on divebuddy.com. just thought the original poster might be interested. :)

Strongly suggest not missing the opportunity to dive.

However, I would also strongly suggest going with a local, for a few reasons.

You need shore diving to have the opportunity to acclimate to the conditions. Nothing you or your son can't handle, but putting your hood and mask on and positioning them and clearing hair induced leaks with thickly gloved hands is not easy without some practice. You want to start with your gloves on before going in the water because 57 degree water will quickly take away heat if you put them on after entering the water. Getting used to lower viz is another thing. While viz can open up DURING THE DIVE to more, viz will probably be around 20-25 feet. More is unusual.

You want to go somewhere besides Breakwater. A good place to start, it's just the tip of the iceberg. A local can take you to other close spots that will have more topography and wildlife.

Stay towards the edge of the kelp so you aren't surfacing mid-forest. You get the view without worry of entanglement and with a clear overhead.

Chuck Tribolet:
Peter C has it right. His family has the password to his website, I'll be making some
simple "what happened" updates in the next day or two. We are working the technical
aspects of having prints made that match with Kawika's view of what they should
look like.

That's great news. I'd love to buy a print.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom