I think I finally figured it out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Now I know why some tech divers/DIR devotees sometimes have an attitude and are so gung-ho about back plates and wings.

After spending two days putting together my first BP/wings, threading and re-threading the webbing to adjust it, un-threading it..again...because I forgot to put the D-rings on the shoulder, working that inner tube strip into the slot to protect the webbing from wear, trying to think ahead of where things will go so I don't have to do it all over again....and we're not even talking about the months of research to decide what size/brand of everything to use! After all that, it can really piss you off to think about the diver who just walked into a dive shop, paid their money and walked away with a BC ready to attached to a tank and go dive!

Seriously, this venture into simplicity has certainly been an adventure! I have a FredT SS BP/2 pc. STA and Dive Rite Rec wings, Dive Rite Deluxe Harness, and Scuba Pro tank bands. I added a Halcyon BP pad for a place to store and deploy my SMB. Halcyon ACB pockets but they are a bit more than I need so Beast will use them this winter and I'll get the ACB+ version. I also added my Zeagle Octo+ to the existing corrugated hose. (I can hear the gasps from here but I like it.) A true Mutt system!

For local summer diving with my HP65 tank, I won't need to add any weights. However, I do need to make some adjustments for the tank. The BP is the same height as my small tank! I need to raise the bottom STA in order to have room for both bands. With HP80 tanks it's fine just as is.

Another problem I have to work out is the bottom of the plate digs into the top of my hips with the tank attached. In the water this won't be a problem but I won't be able to walk very far in full gear. The bend in the lower corners is almost non-detectable so I'm considering having them bent out just a tad...will consult with FredT before doing so, though.

I've done all I can do without getting it wet so this Sunday will be spent in water somewhere, probably Blue Lagoon. I'm sure there will be more adjustments made afterward.

Building your own BC from various components is very rewarding. Thanks to da Beast for leaving me the hell alone and letting me make my own mistakes and discoveries while putting this system together...and for polishing the SS BP to a mirror finish! Thanks, Darlin' :kissy:

Originally posted by Dee
Another problem I have to work out is the bottom of the plate digs into the top of my hips with the tank attached. In the water this won't be a problem but I won't be able to walk very far in full gear.

Hi Dee

How tall are you? I'm appx 5'6", and my BP rests WELL above my hips. It sits above my waist in fact. So, I'm wondering if your problem may be due to 1) being "smaller than the average bear" :) and/or 2) your BP is sitting too low. Perhaps a combination of both? When you're wearing you BP alone, you should be able to reach back and touch the top of the plate. If you can't , it's too low.

Good luck!

Christine

You don't have the backplate and webbing set right if the backplate is riding so low. The top of the backplate should be even with the top of your back/bottom of your neck in full dive dress.

The innertube is for securing the backup lights to the harness not to prevent abrasion.

omar

and only one with steel doubles, and the right shoulder webbing is starting to cut and fray. I deburred all of theholes/edges of my Fred-T backplate, but I think I need to take it apart and work on it some more. any ideas??? The innertube trick might work here.

Originally posted by NetDoc
and only one with steel doubles, and the right shoulder webbing is starting to cut and fray. I deburred all of theholes/edges of my Fred-T backplate, but I think I need to take it apart and work on it some more. any ideas??? The innertube trick might work here.

Pete.... Even after de-burring all the slots I could see some wear just in the process of the many doffs and dons getting things adjusted. I had read on some site about the inner tube protectors.

I cut 4 pieces about 5" long, figuring I'd rather trim later than come up short. The lengths worked out to be just right. It's takes a bit of work, but if you fold the webbing in half it helps. Before I untreaded the webbing, I marked where the webbing went in and came out of the BP so I could make sure to get the tubing in place. Slide the tubing up to your marks and flatten it out. Weave it through the slots... it will extend past the slots.

I did the same thing on the waist slots, pulling the tubing over the keeper. Looks really good and it's not gonna move!

Tom....I may need the shorter BP but at 5'7" and long waisted I thought the regular would fit. Plus, when I tried Beasts on I didn't notice the pressure on my hips. When I shorten the shoulder strap to raise the plate, then it's too tight to get my arm through easily. I'm using the 3-finger rule for tightness here.

Omar....I did cut tubing 'rings' and made sure I had one on each side as well as each side of my waist, just in case I want to use them for attaching lights, etc. The tubing works very well to prevent abrasion in the slots...you should try it.

Thanks for your comments...this is definately a works in progress!

my mistake, I should have known when you mentioned the DR deluxe harness that you didn't want to set it up right.

omar

Originally posted by omar
my mistake, I should have known when you mentioned the DR deluxe harness that you didn't want to set it up right.

omar

I don't know whether to laugh or simply roll my eyes and shake my head. :rolleyes:

Fun isnt it? Just wait till you get it wet. Youll hate it.

2nd time getting it wet will be better.

3rd time its wet, youll never go back.

Setting up your equipment yourself feels good doesnt it?

Mark

Originally posted by omar

omar

I knew I'd get predictable comments like this from someone. :snore:

This project is to please me, myself and I...not you, yourself or anyone else.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom