i survived the tsunami!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please,

no hijacking of this thread. If you want to talk about Clive's experiences then do so. Bashing or flaming is not allowed on this board. Please take that elsewhere.

FWIW, We appreciate Clive giving what we asked of him: a first hand reporting of the tsunami. Thanks Clive for what you did, and also for telling us about it.

Clive

Thank you for you report on what you went though.

As with anything, e.g. reading a book, watching a film, people perceive and judge in different ways, which is what I believe has happened regarding your report.

Although I am sure offence was taken to some peoples comments (most have been removed), I do not believe they were intended to do so. As I am sure you understand, peoples opinion differ and thats why Scubaboard is so successful as there is no point to a discussion if everyone agrees.

I hope your counselling is helping you and that you can get over all you have been through.

Also, I hope this is not perceived as hijacking, just the end the matter.

Grief… that made it all so real. I can't imagine how you feel, I feel traumatised just having read your post. I have watched in horror, many of the programmes about the tsunami, however it is when I see and hear accounts like yours, when I really see just how devastating this was.

To be honest, I really can't find words strong enough put my feelings into perspective. I don't think I have ever read something quite like that, it felt so real.

Thank you for pushing on when the situation seemed hopeless. To have saved someone's life is a truly amazing achievement, to have allowed that child to go on and live the life she hadn't had the chance to even start… well that is just… beyond words. Well done for holding it together when you needed to, and now you need to look after your own heart for a bit… as you already know. I am sure you have probably already taken up the offer of that counselling… and I hope you have enought people around you who can be an ear when you need to talk and a shoulder when you need one.

Wow!! what a story! I have to agree, you did all the right things, considering the event, and the potential of doing nothing meant almost certain death. I am curious to know if you had heard what became of those unfortunate souls who didn't/couldn't make it back into the boat in time? If they survived the waves, then maybe they got picked up by someone else hopefully. Being out on the water was probably the safest place a person could be. further out the better. We know that being on shore was not a good place to be for sure. I hope you get back into the water soon, and start on the healing process for yourself. You have been through an extraordinary experience, and the memories will live with you for ever more, but you can deal with them in a matter that'll make it better for you if you get active in counseling for yourself. you are truly a hero. God speed for you and your family, and all of those hurt by this disaster.

Clive, that was an incredible thing you did. God bless you for saving that girls life. Many years ago someone saved my life. When I walk outside on a bright sunny day and feel so good to be alive to experience it, my next thought is of the person who saved me - and God putting her there at the right time. I'm sure that girl and her family will often reflect on what you did and be thankful for your hands, heart and courage.

kulot:
Well done, Sir. God bless you!

thanks all, back to work on the 1st, the my doctor didn't want me to go back without the ok from the other doctor, but she has fallen down some stairs and broken a couple of ribs, she will not be back for another month and there is no way i am sitting at home for another month, as much as i'd like to :)

it is a lot easier now, but i am sure the first day back will be hard especially with everyone coming around to my desk to see me.

like i said i think i faired a lot better that many others.

i think that if i hadn't insisted on taking her to the hospital we would have gone back to the bay or stayed in Phi Phi bay to help and would have been hit by the other waves.

apparently the two russians and chinese man were picked up by other boats, there were so many there, no one would have been left - alive that is, they weren't too keen on scouping up the dead bodies at first.

Hey Clive - respect.

My girlfriend's just back (four days) from Banda Aceh in Indonesia, which was closest to the epicentre of the earthquake and first to be devastated by the tsunami - over 200,000 dead there alone.

It's not a tourist area and things aren't any better today than they were in the immediate aftermath of the disaster, I'm afraid. Bodies still lying uncollected in ditches, under buildings, etc. People living in appalling conditions with whatever shelter they can find and torrential rains every afternoon making things even worse.

I hope the world doesn't forget these people, they are still living with the effects of the disaster and will be for years to come. There are no tourist dollars to help rebuild shattered lives in a region ruled under martial law.

Clive,

So many words have been said and no doubt so many more good words will be said about your amazing accomplishment. I would, therefore, also like to add a well done on controlling a horrendous situation and remaining level headed whilst others around you froze.

Now comes the hard part for you. I am glad that are seeking help and I wish you all the best for the future as well.

Graham Wardell PADI, SDI Divemster and ex-pat Brit :10:

I have now added another page to my website with a couple of pictures showing varying degrees of damage to the beaches where we were staying.

dry digital galleries/tsunami damage, if any one is interested in having a look.

i have plenty more, but it is time consuming and still brings back memories at the moment, so the rest will follow as and when.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom