i survived the tsunami!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Respect to you clive.

I can only hope if i was unfortunate to be in a situation that called for that kind of pressure and quick thinking I would be as responsive as you were.

Take Care

SF

True courage is not the absence of fear, but realizing the fear and going through it anyway.
I don't know if you have had any training but I will have to say that you did a great job saving that girls life. I was a Medic in the Marine Corps. and you did everything right.
Thank God that you were there. Many people just don't want to risk "ANYTHING" for other human beings and you demonstrated true compassion, courage and willingness that saved a persons life. My hat goes off to you.
Please follow through with getting counsel for I have experienced things in my own life that I never dealt with until recently and paid a heavy price for it. Good luck and God bless.
Seamus AKA TrueGreenMarine.

Clive,

No one knows how they will react in an emergency until it happens. Now, you do. You, sir, are a hero to everyone here and I am sure to that little girl and her family. That girl would not have made it if you had not done what you did. I am sure many people on your boat and maybe you and your family may not have been here today if you had not taken charge. Thank you and my respect for you is immense. One day, I would like to shake your hand and give you a big hug. If I never get to meet you, concider it done.

TrueGreenMarine:
True courage is not the absence of fear, but realizing the fear and going through it anyway.
I don't know if you have had any training but I will have to say that you did a great job saving that girls life. I was a Medic in the Marine Corps. and you did everything right.
Thank God that you were there. Many people just don't want to risk "ANYTHING" for other human beings and you demonstrated true compassion, courage and willingness that saved a persons life. My hat goes off to you.
Please follow through with getting counsel for I have experienced things in my own life that I never dealt with until recently and paid a heavy price for it. Good luck and God bless.
Seamus AKA TrueGreenMarine.

the only training i have had was my rescue diver and medic first aid a couple of years ago.

and lets face it that doesn't equip you for this sort of thing, i don't think any thing does.

i wasn't sure if the oxygen was a good thing to do at the time, but it seemed right.

she had lost a lot of blood and logic said that if she had lost a lot of blood then her oxygen levels would be low.

again i didn't know what to set it too, so i thought it was better to have a little too much rather than not enough, so i set it to half on the delivery guage.

would be nice if some one medically trained said it was the right thing or did no harm.

rang the number they gave me and they weren't much use, and the guy quickly changed the subject when i started talking about her injuries.

i am going to see my doctor this afternoon, hopefully he can help.

i haven't been sleeping too well and have been getting headaches, as well as the tears.

my wife said i was a hero for saving the girls life, what i did wasn't brave or heroic, i just did what i had to.

thanks everyone for your kind words

clive
honestly - I was crying when I finished reading your story. And yes your wife is right - you are a hero.
Kind regards
Mania

clive francis:
rang the number they gave me and they weren't much use, and the guy quickly changed the subject when i started talking about her injuries.

What a waste of resorces! They should be reported...

No one ever plans to be a hero Clive - you won't see it, it's what the others see in you :10:

clive francis:
...would be nice if some one medically trained said it was the right thing or did no harm.
You did the right thing with the Oxygen. You also did an excellent job with the towels to put pressure on the wounds to stop the bleeding. It sounds like you also paid attention when you didn't notice the head wound at first.... You noticed something was not right and found the problem and dealt with it. I've seen trained paramedics miss this sort of thing.

As for the hospital folks not telling you anything - that is actually expected. Most places have policies about patient privacy. Unless the girl's family specifically said they can give out information, they can't.

You did well taking care of the little girl.

Now you need to take care of yourself.

Sounds like you did the right thing on all accounts. It takes a special something to stay calm or at least controlled and capable of making decisions in such a traumatic and difficult time. Although we had some issues with out natural disasters, i cant imagine how bad it must have been over there at that time. I know the others in that area have their work cut out for them dealing with the aftermath - but you played your part to stop the death toll rising!

Clive
Can I translate your story and publish it - of course with your nick - in our Polish diving board?
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom