I signed up for my class today and bought my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, the folks are sure giving you the "warm and fuzzies" for your purchase decision, aren't they? Almost as good as having "friends" who second guess your new car purchase and know a "guy" who could have saved you a thousand bucks.

All your choices were top-notch, including the split fins (which are great for open water, and you can always buy a second pair later in the unlikely event that you pursue cavern or wreck diving). There is no better way to learn to dive than in your own gear, so you can then go out and make additional dives in the exact same gear with the exact same fit, without relying on being able to find rentals of the model you want in the size you want and that is not so used it should be junked.

You got good prices, as well. There will always be someone somewhere who could have saved you a few bucks here and there, but you got all you needed in one swoop without endless research, haggling, and comparing. You got great models of good brands and paid far less than retail list price.

Now go out and enjoy your diving, and if you want a lift (joking) post a description here of how your training dives went and let the piranhas pick apart the quality of your instruction!

theskull

Diehl,

If I had someone present a deal to me like they did you, I would have purchased my gear up front too. You got great gear at a great price and from and LDS which makes it that much better. I dive both split fins and non-split. I like them both a lot. Don't worry about the split fins getting tangled on a descent like someone posted. Once you get past the feet down descent you learn in class, you won't have to worry much about that little issue.

Amazing how many times I see classified ads that run
"Complete scuba gear - only used in pool during course" or "- only once in ocean".
For somebody that's never dived I would never recommend a big investment up front.

I also don't think learning to dive and diving using only one type of equipment is a good thing. Sure the learning curve is faster but dive gear is very much a question of taste - I've got a cupboard full of unused stuff to prove it.
On my first 30 dives I used a variety of gear, some good, some bad, then invested.

The Titan LX and Gekko are fine. The octopus is worth what you paid for it. If the mask is comfortable and does not leak, it's ok. Other stuff--eh.

Diehl:
Hi All :wink: I went to my LDS to sign up for my open water course.

So here is what I bought. I just hope its not crap :06:

The bill came to $1286

Is this a good setup??

At this point, does it matter? And just for the record-unless you are going to venture beyond normal recreational diving, say into deep cold water, the gear you bought should be the last gear you'll ever need. As far as the price goes, better luck next time.

brianwl:
Diehl,

If I had someone present a deal to me like they did you, I would have purchased my gear up front too. You got great gear at a great price and from and LDS which makes it that much better. I dive both split fins and non-split. I like them both a lot. Don't worry about the split fins getting tangled on a descent like someone posted. Once you get past the feet down descent you learn in class, you won't have to worry much about that little issue.

I agree :10: I probably will never dive outside of Florida so I'm not worried about Cold. Maybe some local wrecks which are around 80ft. deep anyway. My friend has had his Malibu for a few years now and he said its one of the best he has ever worn thats why I went with it. And he has been diving for 30+ years and he is are Dive Rescue instructor for my Dept. He said I have very good gear which will last a long time if taken care of. He said I might need a different fin just to have two varities

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom