....I shouldn't ask this here but...nevermind..i was moved :p

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have the Puck Pro and love it. Mine is wrist mounted and feel it is an ideal size for that mode of carry. The back light feature is great for low light and night dives. It is simple to read and user friendly and the ootional USB device and elogbook software that comes with the computer make recording dives and studying the data from each very easy. I really have no complaints about it

Most any computer sold these days could meet the original poster's present needs. I'm not familiar with the Mares line, but I'd start with that; consider the features & price. Then, look at some competitor offerings, with prices, and consider what value you place on some added features, as others have mentioned:

1.) Option to download dives to your computer. Is maintaining an electronic log on your computer with dive profiles, average & max. depth, precise dive times, temp.s at varied depths, etc..., of interest? Easily done.

2.) Air integration. Costs more & you've got a transmitter added to your reg. 1st stage but your computer can log start & stop pressures, and give you ATR (an air time remaining estimate based on current depth & gas usage) on your wrist.

3.) Intuitive Interface. Can be wonderful; imagine using a smart phone vs. programing a digital watch. The Cobalt 2 console, or wrist units like the Shearwater Perdix, SeaBear H3 & this new Deepblu COSMIQ I keep hearing about (& would consider) come to mind.

4.) Is a user replaceable non-proprietary battery a concern? Who knows how you'll get it serviced in 10 years otherwise.

Richard.

New divers should know that dive computers are not like laptops or desktops--they can last a long time.

True, been diving with the same Oceanic Geo's for over 15 years.

The one thing I will never change to is buy any dive computer that you can't change the batteries yourself. Those two Geo's now going on 15 years, what would factory battery changes have amounted to by now? I'm sure I would have paid 2x-3x the original cost of them buy now, if I wasn't able to just pop them open and change the battery with ones bought in Walmart.

The most important thing is to understand what info is displaying on the DC and how to program it. I have dove with people with $700+ DCs that beeped the entire dive and they don't even look at what the computer is telling them or how to program them.

Looks like the Puck/Puck Pro can do Nitrox, wich it the next best cert (IMHO) to get. That computer should last several years. Download the user manuals and see how easy it is to program.

Last edited:
I like the Oceanic algorithim as it is very liberal for low stress warm water dift diving like Cozumel. Many folks can go 70 minutes in this type of diving with only an AL 80, with a 120 it increase past the 90 minute range, some of the other algorithims do not like repetitve dives like that overy multiple days. The Aeris brand was part of Oceanic until they folded the line back into mother brand of Oceanic. You can still buy a three button dual algorithm multi gas Aeris A300 off Amazon for $200. This was the Aeris equivalent of the Oceanic VEO 3.0, which retails for $450 (they both came out of the same PPS factory). The main difference I have found is the Aeris menu is a little more intuitive. And here is the nice part, Oceanic still honors the warranty on them.
Amazon.com: Aeris a300

Most any computer sold these days could meet the original poster's present needs. I'm not familiar with the Mares line, but I'd start with that; consider the features & price. Then, look at some competitor offerings, with prices, and consider what value you place on some added features, as others have mentioned:

1.) Option to download dives to your computer. Is maintaining an electronic log on your computer with dive profiles, average & max. depth, precise dive times, temp.s at varied depths, etc..., of interest? Easily done.

I don't care about that. When a dive is over I am done with it; I stopped keeping a logbook 20 years ago. My wife takes pictures, though.

2.) Air integration. Costs more & you've got a transmitter added to your reg. 1st stage but your computer can log start & stop pressures, and give you ATR (an air time remaining estimate based on current depth & gas usage) on your wrist.

That's not a feature I am interested in, either.

3.) Intuitive Interface. Can be wonderful; imagine using a smart phone vs. programing a digital watch. The Cobalt 2 console, or wrist units like the Shearwater Perdix, SeaBear H3 & this new Deepblu COSMIQ I keep hearing about (& would consider) come to mind.

A simple interface beats an intuitive complicated one, IMO.

4.) Is a user replaceable non-proprietary battery a concern? Who knows how you'll get it serviced in 10 years otherwise.

That's one I want, but I thought they were all that way. Having to send it somewhere to get the battery replaced sounds like a pain.

That's one I want, but I thought they were all that way. Having to send it somewhere to get the battery replaced sounds like a pain.

Not to mention the couple of times we've been at a far away destination, in the middle of the 3rd dive the low battery light indicator decides to starts flashing it's low battery warning, with a user replaceable battery you just replace it that night in your room, with a manufacturer replacement now you start playing the worrying game... will the battery make it through the rest of our remaining dives or is it going to die before then and leave me without a computer?

I started out with Mares computer but went to Oceanic and haven't missed my Mares one bit. Love love love my Oceanic! Do get a DC that is nitrox capable. Don't get air integrated.

I like the Oceanic algorithim as it is very liberal for low stress warm water dift diving like Cozumel. Many folks can go 70 minutes in this type of diving with only an AL 80, with a 120 it increase past the 90 minute range, some of the other algorithims do not like repetitve dives like that overy multiple days. The Aeris brand was part of Oceanic until they folded the line back into mother brand of Oceanic. You can still buy a three button dual algorithm multi gas Aeris A300 off Amazon for $200. This was the Aeris equivalent of the Oceanic VEO 3.0, which retails for $450 (they both came out of the same PPS factory). The main difference I have found is the Aeris menu is a little more intuitive. And here is the nice part, Oceanic still honors the warranty on them.
Amazon.com: Aeris a300
That is precisely what i was wondering...the little amount of time I've been under so far..resort course x2 and pool dives for OW, I had way more air than buddy and i think even more than DM...with the type of rec diving i described in original post is that going to be an issue with the Mares...2-3 days of diving in a row with a possible 3rd night dive too, considering the dives in Cozumel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom