I requested a callout last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a call from the department with an update.

Seems like the idiot made it accross the river but we don't know how far down stream he went before he was able to get out. He is reported as being with his mother who is talking with His Aunt who is the city PIO.

The excuse he is using is that I'm going to beat the crap out of him when I find him or he shows up. I don't know what he's worried about. I'm not going to lay a finger on him. But the Deputy that went with the K-9 team last night might. He is 6'5" and 350# with a mug that will stop a freight train. That track got him sweating which he doesn't take kindly to when chasing a dirtbag. ;^)

At least the kid is alive. With all the OT spent today it sure is making a few more Tazers look cheap. Two marine units were out all day as were three Deputies called in to work this case. Then the two surrounding cities had Officers dedicated to it.

Gary D.

At least hes alive.... he may not be the sharpest tool in the shed... but hey.. hes still breathing....

I just checked the flow rate of the river. It's running about 10-15% over 1/3 max flow rate. We won't train in it when it is over 2/3 max rate.

Now take a strung out Meth Head swimming it naked it's a wonder he made it.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
In the process of trying to hook him up he decides to pop me up beside the head and split.
Gary D.
Hows the head? You OK?

Is that the Spokane river? The USGS pic says, Huetter, Idaho. Where is Huetter? We made a couple of dives in the Spokane a few days ago and the water was up five feet! Current not too bad where we were, but colder and deeper for sure. 52f water will give a guy in the buff the hypos fast.

Rick Inman:
Hows the head? You OK?

Is that the Spokane river? The USGS pic says, Huetter, Idaho. Where is Huetter? We made a couple of dives in the Spokane a few days ago and the water was up five feet! Current not too bad where we were, but colder and deeper for sure. 52f water will give a guy in the buff the hypos fast.
He poped me in the head so what can I say. It was a light one but enough. Did you see the TV news? Funny.

Huetter is a small 1 block town at the western edge of CdA on Seltice way. Zoom out on the sat pic and you'll see Coeur d'Alene.

We need to go get wet.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
We need to go get wet.

Gary D.
I'm ready! Need to try out my new reg. I almost bought one of those Sherwood things, but they're only for beginners. :wink:

6Gill:
Well scubamoo, most agencies, to include those in the PNW run one person cars. In most cases arrests are routinly made by officers in these one person cars. This is especially true in the case of Highway patrol and Sheriff's officers in outlying locations.
I wouldn't dispute that. But whether or not you make an arrest on your own is YOUR choice. I understand that on some calls you get two cars dispatched off the bat. Other times, like this one, you get dispatched one-man. Granted with backup a long way off you're going to make a decision on whether to make an arrest or not.

So you don't have resources -- is that your fault? If the public wants you to arrest people, they can provide enough officers to get the job done safely. Things won't change until there is the perceived need to change. That could be through fewer arrests and more criminals wandering around (though safer police work) or the funeral of a deputy or two... Doesn't seem like much of a choice.

We've had too many officers killed locally in just the past year or so doing exactly this same thing -- Chelan Co. & King Co. (Washington) come to mind.

scubamoo:
I wouldn't dispute that. But whether or not you make an arrest on your own is YOUR choice. I understand that on some calls you get two cars dispatched off the bat. Other times, like this one, you get dispatched one-man. Granted with backup a long way off you're going to make a decision on whether to make an arrest or not.

So you don't have resources -- is that your fault? If the public wants you to arrest people, they can provide enough officers to get the job done safely. Things won't change until there is the perceived need to change. That could be through fewer arrests and more criminals wandering around (though safer police work) or the funeral of a deputy or two... Doesn't seem like much of a choice.

We've had too many officers killed locally in just the past year or so doing exactly this same thing -- Chelan Co. & King Co. (Washington) come to mind.

SCUBAMOO, after reading your comments here, I wonder if you have ever served as a LEO. I'm very familiar with the King County area loses. I retired after 34 years service as a Lt. from the King County Sheriff's Office. I still attend funerals for people from my former department that past either from line of duty or natural causes both active and retired. During my career with that department I served in a lot of assignments to include diver, bomb technician, swat operator, motorcycle sgt. and of course supervisor of patrol, traffic, special operations units and rescue units. So, I think that I know a little about the job. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom