I requested a callout last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
First off some background.

We just went through an upper administration change. The Operations and Jail captains just switched positions. This is not a good thing for Operations and I will leave it at that.

At 0700 this morning he is going to do an introduction to the Operations Division. Well, at around 0430 I joked with the Sgt. that we were going to get into something that was going to keep us from going to his pep rally this morning. HAHAHA we joked.

At 0514 I go on a call to a reported suspicious vehicle in the woods near the river. I get there and guess what I catch the couple doing. Yup, aerobics.

After letting them get dressed I run them and the male half has a minor warrant but he PO’ed the judge and bond was $5000.00. In the process of trying to hook him up he decides to pop me up beside the head and split. He hit the water bare a$$ naked and left a neat trail of clothing while enroute.

I request a team callout and a marine boat. The dam is open so the river is flowing stronger than the average person would like to be swimming in.

While waiting for help I lose site of him. A dog, marine boat and several ground units couldn’t find anywhere he might have exited the water. Is he there? Who knows, We have evidence of him going in but nothing indicating that he exited.

Hopefully he did make it out. He is closely related to the city’s PIO and she is even involved in trying to locate him.

At 0630 we were called off the search to attend the pep rally. When he says you will be somewhere you WILL be there, no excuses at all.

Here is the sat pic of the area: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1277&y=13206&z=11&w=1
He went in just to the right of the little island. They were doing the aerobic thing just to the left of the house below the road. Not to bright.

Frustrated

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Frustrated, Gary D.
What ever you do in life do it well and do it safe.
Especially given your tag line, why are arresting people when you are alone? Is that your agency's policy? Sounds like a bad idea.

scubamoo:
Especially given your tag line, why are arresting people when you are alone? Is that your agency's policy? Sounds like a bad idea.
We cover 1400 square miles with only three on a normal shift. Last night we only had two on plus the Sgt.. Most of what we do we do alone. There are areas of the county where back-up is well over an hour away. That isn't unusual at all for rural or semi rural departments.

I've been working the same areas for 28 years and your bound to get poped once and a while. We have Tazers now but the Sgt.'s are the only ones with them. He was 25 minutes out when I needed it this morning. I would have Zapped the idiot long before he had the chance.

The county commioners hate us and would like to see us go away. They refuse to give us pay raises or enough money to keep people once they are trained. To prove it the county is getting a 3% pay raise except the Sheriff's Department. We are getting 1.5%. We got the stats this morning. In the past 5 years we have had a total of 75 patrolmen. 42 of them have left for one reason or another. That makes 33 that we have now and we are down by 9.

I could leave here and go 10 miles to the west for a $4-$8.00 an hour pay raise. So we can't keep the new people.

Gary D.

Not to bag on you but i noticed you said your sergeant is the only one allowed to carry and use the tazer. I agree we have all had our "pops upside the head" at one time or another :wink:

Do you carry any other form of a less lethal weapon such as pepper spray, baton, ASP? Seems like a major form of liabliltiy if your only weapon of choice for self protection or protection of others is a lethal weapon(side arm, shotgun, rifle, etc).

lal7176:
Not to bag on you but i noticed you said your sergeant is the only one allowed to carry and use the tazer. I agree we have all had our "pops upside the head" at one time or another :wink:

Do you carry any other form of a less lethal weapon such as pepper spray, baton, ASP? Seems like a major form of liabliltiy if your only weapon of choice for self protection or protection of others is a lethal weapon(side arm, shotgun, rifle, etc).

We just got the Tazers last month so it will take a while to get everyone trained. We have both Stream and Spray Pepper, PR-24, Asp's will be her about the time I retire. Other than that it's 45, 38 airweight, 12 ga and Mini 14.

The new Captain just put some serious restrictions on K-9 use and just might screw up our SS program. He is not making anyone happy.

This is something I have never done is this before, but I figured it out night before last and I have 114 working days left to retire. Things don't improve I'll do it. Up until the time of the transfer things were going great. Now they are headed south rapidly. He is one of those that will only rule by fear and I just won't put up with it.

He has already put the word out that if a Deputy gets a write up or days off the Sgt. gets the same thing. If a Deputy does something bad enough to get fired so does the Sgt.. That sounds a bit illegal to me.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
This is something I have never done is this before, but I figured it out night before last and I have 114 working days left to retire. Things don't improve I'll do it. Up until the time of the transfer things were going great. Now they are headed south rapidly. He is one of those that will only rule by fear and I just won't put up with it.

He has already put the word out that if a Deputy gets a write up or days off the Sgt. gets the same thing. If a Deputy does something bad enough to get fired so does the Sgt.. That sounds a bit illegal to me.

Gary D.

Sounds like you guys are in a real ugly situation with your new captain. Kinda sounds like he forgot his grass roots and where he started. Hopefully he is just putting on the ol BS act of showing every one who the boss is and will hopefully settle in and come to realize that without your experience he is nothing. Dont you just love upper management :D

scubamoo:

Well scubamoo, most agencies, to include those in the PNW run one person cars. In most cases arrests are routinly made by officers in these one person cars. This is especially true in the case of Highway patrol and Sheriff's officers in outlying locations. Of course, in some circumstances the very nature of the call and/or arrest call for a backup. In these case one will wait for backup before arrival at the location and/or making an arrest. Of course, some agencies have small car districts and lots of cars and can routinly afford to send more then one unit to most calls which may result in violence and/or arrests, such as a domestic violence dispute. Also in many cases a supervisor will respond as backup too. Usually a Sgt.

Gary D.:
We just got the Tazers last month so it will take a while to get everyone trained. We have both Stream and Spray Pepper, PR-24, Asp's will be her about the time I retire. Other than that it's 45, 38 airweight, 12 ga and Mini 14.

The new Captain just put some serious restrictions on K-9 use and just might screw up our SS program. He is not making anyone happy.

Gary D.

A new supervisor, who has little or no experience in his new duties sure can be a pain in lower places! In my past career(s) I have experienced them many times, both in police work and the military. What is they say "he can kill me but he can't eat me!" Keep a level head Gary, hopefully you have mid level supervisors such as Sgts. and Lt's to act as a buffer between you and this bozo Captain. Just do you job as best as you can and let him make these outrageous statements. As far as his threats go, I see very little if any chance he could pull them off in this day and age. His threats would really hit the fan when heard in a civil service hearing or courtroom. I would think that these types of statements will find there way back to your Sheriff and/or Chief and will not enhance him with them.

I think that he's trying to impress on his new command that he's incharge! (New broom sweeps clean, etc.) Like somebody else pointed out here, inorder for him to succeed in his new assignment he needs the help and experience of those under him. Without that confidence and assistance from the people under him he will fail. :eyebrow: :wink:

6Gill:
A new supervisor, who has little or no experience in his new duties sure can be a pain in lower places! In my past career(s) I have experienced them many times, both in police work and the military. What is they say "he can kill me but he can't eat me!" Keep a level head Gary, hopefully you have mid level supervisors such as Sgts. and Lt's to act as a buffer between you and this bozo Captain. Just do you job as best as you can and let him make these outrageous statements. As far as his threats go, I see very little if any chance he could pull them off in this day and age. His threats would really hit the fan when heard in a civil service hearing or courtroom. I would think that these types of statements will find there way back to your Sheriff and/or Chief and will not enhance him with them.

I think that he's trying to impress on his new command that he's incharge! (New broom sweeps clean, etc.) Like somebody else pointed out here, inorder for him to succeed in his new assignment he needs the help and experience of those under him. Without that confidence and assistance from the people under him he will fail. :eyebrow: :wink:
He's not new. I was one of his FTO's back in 88 and he was a jerk then. He went up the ladder so fast he must have had the right set of knee pads.

One major problem he has is that he never forgets or forgives. Argue with him once and it is for life. He has been in operations as a Deputy, Sgt, Lt. and Captain. When he got transfered back from the Jail they had a party. They still haven't quit thanking us.

I was involved in a shooting back in 90. I wanted to notify my wife and I only wanted one other Deputy to do it incase I couldn't. Against my wishes he went to my house and basically pushed his way around. My wife, daughter and a friend of hers thought I had been shot until I got home. The A-hole just told them I had been involved in a shooting and to just "Shut up" in those words. They didn't have a clue until I got home that I was OK. That gives you an idea of what kind of jerk he can be.

He has less than 2 years on the streets and was an insurance salesman prior to that. He has been booted off the SRU Team for just being a DUH!

Gary D.

Gary D.:
When he got transfered back from the Jail they had a party. They still haven't quit thanking us.Gary D.

LOL that happened here not too long ago... sounds like you got the bad end of the deal though... this guy is on a serious power trip! Time for a huge wake-up call!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom