I probably should have posted it here first.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the thread and my answer is based on always being self sufficient and building redundancy into your configuration. I think the answer is in the worst case scenario and the numbers. Let's say you are at 80' on a single tank and at the end of your dive (or any part of your dive) you have a catastrophic failure and start to bleed all of your air. At 80ft you are at an equivalent pressure of 3.4 atmospheres. Your heart rate and breathing could go up significantly and at that depth, you could start consuming air at 3-4 cubic feet per minute. (I'm making calculations based on a surface air consumption rate of 1 cubic foot per minute) Instinctively, you are going to start heading up but want to do it safely and confidently, as well as make a safety stop. In the two plus minutes to get to your 15' safety stop I would estimate you could easily burn through 6 cubic feet of air, at 15 ft for three minute safety stop, another 3 cubic feet (and that assumes your breathing rate settled down a bit), and another 1 cubic foot for a nice slow ascent to the surface. That's 10 cubic feet of air and that assumes you made the switch and immediately headed up safely. If you are scalloping, you are probably not near the boat and will there for 5-15 minutes? Heavy seas? That's the scenario I used when I was diving single tanks and after I had a minor 2d stage free flow (I couldn't stop) on the Poling after my dive buddy swam off. My answer was a 19 cubic foot tank. Personally, I would not think of diving anything less and have seen some folks diving with a 30. Sling it in the front off your harness where you can see the pressure guage and easily access the valve and the 2d stage. You won't even notice you are wearing it.

Just from reading your original post, and none of the responses, I would tell you to go with a 19cf pony. But that is without knowing anything about you.
I personally use a 30cf pony, but I picked it up 10 years ago when I smoked, and weighed 30 pounds more than I do now. I still use it when I dive, because I belive that there is no such thing as having too much air

Also. Your going to hear alot of people telling you to sling it. I mount my 30 to my main tank, and never know its there. Slinging it doesn't work for me because there are times when I need to be on my belly to get the lobster I've been chasing

If the pony is being used for air as an emergency bail out, I like the 19CF and would mount it to the tank. Remember to only fill it with air and don't use it in your gas planning.

If the pony is being used for deco gas (%50 or %100 O2), then I would opt for a 30CF tank since you would be filling it to a mox of 2400 and I would sling it for safety reasons.

The size of the bottle is really determined by what you are going to do. I have bailout ranging from 30 - 80 cubic feet. 13 and 20 are nice little bottle sizes for those times when you got whoops. The larger sizes being far more useful when the penalties are greater.

I am often on New York and New Jersey boats where I see all manner of "pony-taming", or attachment devices. It's always a bit of fun seeing divers fumble with transferring tanks during the surface interval when they swap out single bottles. When I see them climbing back up the ladder the larger backmounted bottles tend to lean divers over to the side.

My personal preference for recreational dives where oops may be involved are Luxfer 30's and 40's. I used Luxfer 80 for CCR and other working dives. All slung. Forget Catalina bottles. Butt heavy tanks unless you're using some HE mix.

X

I use a 19cuft mounted on my primary tank.

Added: I also use a 3 gauge console on the pony reg. I can monitor the pressure of the pony during the dive (I turn and leave the valve on) and I have a backup compass and, an analog depth gauge,which I don't need now as I have a computer and a depth depth gauge on my primary console.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom