I now have 50+ total dives, which makes me a complete expert...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I loved the post because it is exactly how I feel; I was a person not all comfortable in the water. The love for my wife and my wife's love of water drove me from my feels in inhibitions to seek at least a remarkably truce with fears and demons.

As a child I always wanted to scuba dive, man how I wanted to be one of those kids in the cartoon Sealab, but my lack of swimming always threw a wrench into that plan and nearly drowning by the hand of my brothers did not instill a love for all things liquid.

Roll forward 40 years more or less, my with our friend conspired against me and decided to put all my bravado to the test. We all enrolled in OW class, they passed I removed myself from the class, I was not afraid of too many things I just could not clear my mask! Well the instructor came over after the class, talked with me for awhile and told me "I have never had anyone fail, they may quit and you can...but I have seen you in the water and you can do this". So that left me with almost a year of practicing clearing my mask, reading scubaboard ŽÍaughing good naturally at myself and basically taking it all in stride. Well, almost a year to the day I finally got OW cert'd and was off and running, AOW and Nitrox came next, same great instructor. My wife has been my dive-buddy and partner through the whole thing and we got my 14 year old son involved he is becoming a good safe diver in his own right with none of my fears, but all of my caution.

Now I dive every chance I get and if I don't get chances, I make them.

My wife wants to know if I can actually have a 5 minute conversation with anyone in the world and not have a scuba tank fall out of my mouth.

Whenever I dive I always have a camera and take an absurd amount of pictures to which I will show anyone my pictures which mostly include at least 25 of my wife fins at any giving direction.

While my wife complains that I waste my air "jetting around trying to get the perfect shot" I tell her, "that's ok, cause you will share? won't you?

I have 80 dives in a little over a year and I too suck, but anytime I want to feel better about my diving skills I can just take a cruise then do a diving shore excursion, after watching people flounder around over weighted and out of control my wife and I just hang to the back of the group and shrug our shoulders at each other, she then lifts her fin up and I take a picture of it.

Things I have learned along the way:

It does not take 34 pounds of lead to make me sink in water! Thank you LDS for selling me that much.

I can convince you that you want to become a diver; I cannot make you a better diver. Only time, practice, skills and good sense of humor can.

I do look uber cool in my dive gear, as long as I do not have to walk in it.

I can do a giant stride?.doesn't mean I like to.

Diving cost money, if you cut costs you're going to cut safety.

Plan for the unexpected

Practice for everything.

Don;t get pissed when your dive partner flips you the bird underwater. (Yes, honey I still love you)

Listen, don't talk

If you ask a question listen to the answer.

The Divemaster has a job to do, get you back on the boat alive, after that everything else is a bonus.

If a woman on the boat falls out of her bathing suit while shimming out of her wetsuit, do not yell BOOBIES!

It's your job to track the guy with the float flag, not his to track you.

I love to dive, if you don't well, there must be something wrong with you.

There may not be anything you need in the dive shop, but there is always something you want.

Joe

Last edited:
Its the same when your in the hundreds of dives even though I am one of the "cold water divers". I do a lot of solo dives and what not but there is one guy I dive with who is as close to being a fish as possible. He is simply there, still and silent, but only there. I get learn more with every dive but my problem is I love gear so I am always adding or subtracting something or changing from backmount to sidemount to singles to... so getting into a good muscle memory is harder. God forbid I buy a rebreather and a scooter, and throw a wrench in everything I am already good at.

The key is to make small goals for ones self, dont try and be good at everything all at once and dont try and task overload yourself either. If you can practice and be good at one thing at a time you eventually will become "that guy".

good luck. T

I love your message! We certified in Lake Superior (who knew?), and did most of our early dives in the Great Lakes. Since those early days, we've had a few rare chances to do some warm water diving, and were simply amazed at the poor dive skills of warm-water-only vacation divers. Whew.
But I'm still a complete NOOB (great word). Every dive in cold water seems to teach me that there's more to learn. Happily, the Great Lakes wrecks are always willing to share yet another lesson....

It's funny, I've strapped on the gear 60+ times now and I still suck at diving :)

OK, I am getting better... I don't suck quite as much at buoyancy, I don't suck quite as much at using air, I have been able to drop weight and learned how to not be overweighted...

I have taken a bunch of specialty classes (just for the heck of it) and am only my Rescue Diver cert away from being a "PAID Master Scuba Diver". What an absolute joke that cert card is, even though I am going to get it just for giggles and grins.

I have come to realize a few things, though...

1) All this training and my experience so far tells me that I am still a rank NOOB in the world of diving...

2) I have more training and experience than about 99 percent of the people I have taken my classes with, and am shocked that they consider themselves "advanced" divers.

3) The more I dive, the less I suck.

4) AOW training is nothing more than OW training, Part 2. Being AOW certified doesn't mean squat in determining whether a diver sucks or not.

5) Pools are different than quarries. Quarries are different than the ocean. Cold water is different than warm. Etc. My level of suckage in each situation is directly related to the amount of experience I have at diving in each situation.

6) Time spent in training for emergency situations is NEVER wasted.

7) Most divers I have met who are experienced cold water divers are very, very good at what they do.

8) Vacation only warm water divers generally suck worse than I do... and that's sad.

9) I should still sit down and shut up, because I need to have a lot more experience before I know enough about diving to give even the slightest amount of advice.

Just so you all know where I am at :)

This is one of the best and truer posts I read in SB!!

Congratualations, your are on the right track to be a great diver!!

My "Master Diver" card is only good for one thing, and thats impressing my wife. Of course she doesn't dive and even though I told her it doesn't mean anything to real divers, she still thinks I've accomplished something. I echo your feelings Sabbath.

If you have the right attitude then it should be the case that the more you dive, the less you feel you know.

Every answer should lead to 10 new questions.
Every improvement should lead to the setting of new standards to attain.

It is never a case of 'how big a fish you are', but rather 'what size of pond' you settle in. When you reach a level of satisfaction, it is time to upgrade your 'peer group' for a reality check....

As my diving experience and ability increased over time, I had the opportunity to dive with better people, expose myself to new concepts.... I never felt that I had attained everything there is to attain. There is always something new to learn, something to improve and something to develop.

The key learning experiences for me were...

1. My first holiday diving. Having learnt to dive, and gained a few dives experience (diving independantly with a buddy) in an ice cold quarry in the UK, I went to Cyprus thinking I was ok in the water. I could assemble my own kit, did a proper buddy check etc...which was more than some other customers at the center could do. In the water...hmmm....precious memories of ungainly flailing on the Zenobia....dismay over my air consumption... ha ha.... back to the drawing board....

2. Rescue Diver Course. By the time I took this, I had around 50 dives...and thought I was doing well. This course, however, woke me up to the idea that there were lots of problems I couldn't deal with. I realised I had much more to learn after this course.

3. Divemaster course. This was my first chance to be in the water on a regular basis. It provided the sort of familiarity with the water, and my kit, that lead to several big breakthroughs in my diving. For the first time, my air consumption and bouyancy didn't suck. I had 100 dives...wow, something to celebrate. sadly, I thought I was good, only because I compared myself with less experienced divers...I had my first exposure to technical divers (had never really seen or heard of that before) and began to realise that I was still at the bottom of the mountain looking up.....

4. Technical Training. Having decided I no longer sucked, I got in the water with Mark Powell and was rapidly shown that I was still very much a newbie and had a lot still to learn. Adding a second cylinder to my back completely threw my bouyancy and trim... the added kit and techniques completely maxed my comfort level and task loading. I was like an awkward open water student again. Back to the bottom of the pile.

5. Working as an Instructor. Being in Thailand and diving 4 times a day...every day... showed me that I hadn't mastered bouyancy, skills, navigation or air consumption.... as I had believed before. Again, diving every day made being underwater a 'second home' for me....and I could see improvements all the time. I got to a stage where air consumption never limited my dive time ( I never believed before that I could end a 40min open water training dive with 150 bar remaining), I could hover at will, fin backwards, deploy DSMBs without a second thought...and yet, there was still so much to master...

6. Becoming a technical instructor. Having worked as a recreational instructor for several years...and completed over 100 technical dives, I thought I was ready to teach technical diving. As I moved to a higher level of diving, I had new exposure to more experienced divers....and, again, knew that I had moved back to the bottom of the pile. I had become deft with my shut-downs, good trim, dive planning...but realised I really knew nothing about safe wreck penetration, line work, rebreathers, expedition diving, decompression theory....etc etc etc

My current job has brought me exposure to some truly excellent divers....and I learn new things on a daily basis. I am picking up tips and techniques from seasoned cave and technical divers....re-evaluating what I thought I knew....re-establishing my standards and goals. I moved into a bigger pond....

My new step is CCR diving...and I am totally enjoying being the complete, useless, noobie again :D I suck and I love it!

Last edited:
To all of the above Amen!!!!
maby some of the scuba god's out their will read this post!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom