I now have 50+ total dives, which makes me a complete expert...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We hired a videographer in Coz last year for 2 dives: 1 to Santa Rosa Wall and one to Tormentos Reef. I watched in horror, as my bouyancy and all around skills SUCKED.

I love to watch this video, but pretend that the "girl" is someone who just got their open water cert!

Since then, I have practiced, changed my gear config, read and taken more classes. And I think I still suck a large amount. But like you, I eventually want to be the one the other divers say, "I want to dive like her..."

Sabbath ... that's a great post. Most people take a few hundred dives before they figure some of that stuff out ... you're way ahead of the curve.

Keep it fun ... that's why we do it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's funny, I've strapped on the gear 60+ times now and I still suck at diving :)

OK, I am getting better... I don't suck quite as much at buoyancy, I don't suck quite as much at using air, I have been able to drop weight and learned how to not be overweighted...

Great post!

It seems at each diving milestone we flip between, "I am a good diver." to "Man, I was a terrible diver."

I await your post after you cross the 200 dive mark.:wink:

Sabbath... what you say is so true, I copied it and mailed it to myself to keep.

My niece is visiting me tomorrow, because she would like some advice on diving since she's starting her OW next month. What you posted is so on the mark... it really says it all!

Coming to that realisation after only 60 dives makes me believe you'll be one of the experienced ones in no time... you already have the mental attitude!

Again great post!!
That is why I have not gone beyond OW and Nitrox..the PADI AOW is a joke..I have done deep dives..wreck..etc,no need to just get a card!

But if "NWGreatfuldiver" would teach my AOW I would be there in a heartbeat! Stll trying to find a local instructor who would actually teach me something (beside GUE)?

Bob-Might have to buy you another ticket and take you diving down here again!!

Perfect Post!

And I so feel your pain.

I've been diving over 20 years, and have done around 2000 dives. Thought I had it down pretty good. Just recently did my first tech class, transitioning to doubles(love it) and now I SO SUCK!

I'm starting to approach my old performance, but I am much more aware now how much more room I have for improvement.

Great post,showes a good insight.

I've burped this many times before,AOW means NOTHING more them advanced OPEN WATER.
As any cert.it tells that you have been thought some new TRICKS.
No diver with 10/20 or even 50 dives can call him/her self a ADVANCED diver.

A Advanced diver IMO is a divers with several hunderds of dives in more then one kind of water.
So not just a lake or a clear ocean.But dives in good viz/low viz./currents or tidalwater/night/deep
just to name a few.

But you all ready got the point.
Keep diving,keep learning and most of all,KEEP HAVING FUN WHILE AT IT.:D

I'm approaching my 100th dive and I feel like I barely grasp the basics of buoyancy. I just did some freshwater dives while using gears setup for saltwater and I was overweighted, though not by much maybe 2-4lbs at most. I figured that I could compensate for it by my "skills & experience". Nope. I was all over the place like a brand new OW cert noob. Very educational and humbling experiences.

50??? Slow learner

I was there at 20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom