I now have 50+ total dives, which makes me a complete expert...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off, I agree with 99% of this thread, but why does the term "vacation diver" have to be used a synonym for bad diver in this thread. I've been diving for 4 years and have around 80 dives logged. I know I'm really inexperienced and have a ton to learn, but I'm.... gasp.... a "vacation diver". So apparently because I don't appreciate diving in quarries I'm somehow inferior.

I practice mask clearing, buddy breathing, removing and replacing my bc on almost every safety stop. I know my limits, dive within them, and make a serious effort to be the best buddy I can, but because I choose to dive in warm clear waters I'm somehow a danger to others.

On the rare occasion that I trek to the local quarry for a dive I see just as many divers there who completely overestimate their ability and could be considered just as bad as a "vacation diver".

A bad diver is a bad diver, it doesn't matter how many dives they have or where they logged them. It's all context, a boat dive in 5 knot currents with 5' seas can present just as much challenge as a cold water quarry dive with 5' vis. depending on what you are most familiar with... it's all about knowing your limitations and diving accordingly.

I am new to diving, but not new to the ocean(grew up on Oregon coast) I have respect for how unforgiving the ocean can be at times. Diving in both cold and warm water (drysuit and wetsuit)conditions has taught me how difficult additional tasks can be when you are relatively new.

It was a humbling experience diving in cold water. Something as simple as making sure all seals are properly sealed...including mask, can be a little overwhelming at first. On about my third or fourth dive in cold water...it was snowing...I took my long stride into Puget Sound and found out that good undergarments are well worth the money. My drysuit was not so dry and my mask was overlapping my hood. I did continue the dive, but it took me a little bit to readjust everything. It's a good read in my logbook.

At some point we all can be humbled (or just feel plain dumb). Those experiences are what either makes us quit, or strive to be better the next time. I'm all about striving to be better the next time. Reading various posts on this forum has helped me understand that I have a long way to go. However, it should be an enjoyable trip.

"Real diving experience comes from facing a variety of challenges. " That is what I was trying to get at in my post, but I took the long way around (my compass is here somehwere). I enjoy varying my sites so I am faced with new challenges that better prepare me for "next time."

First off, I agree with 99% of this thread, but why does the term "vacation diver" have to be used a synonym for bad diver in this thread. I've been diving for 4 years and have around 80 dives logged. I know I'm really inexperienced and have a ton to learn, but I'm.... gasp.... a "vacation diver". So apparently because I don't appreciate diving in quarries I'm somehow inferior.

I would say that the term "vacation diver" used by the OP is meant for those that dive once or twice a year on vacation. With that said if they take the time to polish up their skills then that is a horse of a different color.

I tried to assume that OP meant people who only dive a few times a year, but vacation only warm water diver describes me perfectly. I just wanted to make the point that someone who practices skills and dives within their limitations can be an adequate diver, even if they only dive on vacation in warm water.

Heck, I'd rather buddy with someone who only has 10 dives if they know their limitations and stick close by as opposed to someone with 1000 diverse and challenging dives that I can't find 10 minutes into the dive.

My wife and I split up on a dive boat because the DM was looking for someone to hang out shallow with a new diver and one of the DMs while the rest of us would be doing a deeper dive with swim throughs. My wife came up gushing about how attentive and great the new diver was, I got to enjoy surfacing early because my "experienced" buddy took off on an impromptu solo dive that almost resulted in calls to the coast guard for a missing diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom