i need suggestions for a Semidry wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am trying to get into more diving in Western New York instead of just vacation diving. i have been looking at a couple Semidry wetsuits on Leisure pro. 2 hendersons and a bare all 8/7 semidry. I have little experience with different suit types. I bought a 3mil Neosport hyperstretch when i got certified and haven't used anything else besides a rental shorty over my 3 mil for cavern diving.
Henderson Thermoprene Pro Hooded Semi-Dry Jumpsuit
Henderson Thermoprene 8/7mm Semi-Dry, Closeout
Bare 8/7mm Velocity Semi-Dry Hooded Full Suit
Any suggestions on which to get. Anybody have experience with any of these? I looked through old posts and did not find much help there.

A couple of points

1. Using a 7mm suit compared to a 3mm suit is very different in terms of flexibility (and lead needed)
2. Try before you buy - I don't advise buying wetsuits / drysuits online, get it wrong and it can get complicated

Have you considered a drysuit?

I do know about the flexibility and lead needed differences. I just would like to extend my diving season other than just july august locally. i haven't really considered a drysuit because of the price point. I am going to reach out to local stores this week and see what brands each carries to try these on if at all possible. If not Leisure pro has a good return policy on items that don't fit.

Scubapro and AquaLung make great semi-drysuits. I prefer suits without integrated hood. Note that in NY, it is still cold to dive with a semi-drysuit outside the warmer months of the years and thus you probably can only dive 3 - 4 months out of the year with a semi-dry. If you want to be diving for longer, deeper, more dives per day, I'd consider drysuit.

I bought a semi-dry for this season of Lake Erie diving. My LDS doesn't carry any in stock, so I ended up giving Scuba.com (where I normally buy things online) a call for advice on fit. Based on a careful look at the published measurements of all available semi-drys I narrowed it down to two for me and they told me the Hollis semi-dry would probably be the better fit. I got it and it fit pretty well, so I was happy. I have been using it on wreck diving and I am pretty satisfied. I was warm in 43F water yesterday at 100ft. However, cold tolerance is an intensely personal trait. I don't use any exposure protection at 70F; other people are in 5mm at that point. YMMV.

Observations: There is a big difference going from a 3mm to a 7mm. It's like going from slipping on shorts and a t-shirt to putting on a tight suit and tie. A semi-dry is a souped-up 7mm, so it is comparable. I need help getting my arms out in mine; it is definitely not something for diving solo! (at least for me)

A semi-dry is warmer than a 7mm because it has design features to prevent water movement. (That is why fit is so important with them, so don't worry about brands when you are looking, focus on fit. If you have multiple options that fit then you can worry about the brand.) But it is not a drysuit. For Great Lakes diving it is the best available (or farmer johns) short of getting a drysuit. Some people (like me) are warm in semi-drys at 40F. For me a semi-dry was a great buy. It lets me dive comfortably until I decide to get a drysuit. For others it is going to be a waste of money because they are very cold intolerant. Drysuits are definitely the endgame in Lake Erie.

Oh, and remember to upgrade your boots and gloves if you haven't already. No point in having a warm core and freezing fingers and toes. Gloves should be 5mm and seam sealed. Boots 6-8mm for cold water.

Good luck.

I was warm in 43F water yesterday at 100ft. However, cold tolerance is an intensely personal trait. I don't use any exposure protection at 70F; other people are in 5mm at that point. YMMV.

Just to illustrate cold tolerance differences: I’m in 5mm at 80F!

So for me I’ll be in a drysuit if I’ll be diving in the Great Lakes. So that’s why I haven’t been diving up here...yet.

But I’m sure the OP has concluded the semi-dry will work for him. Good luck!

I’ve heard the fourth element proteus 2 is very good but also very expensive.

I have a Proteus 1 5mm but it's no comparison to my 7mm semi dry

Back
Top Bottom