I need spearfishing info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TennInstr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested in learning to spearfish and lobster. I've read a little in magazines but know very little about techniques and equipment. Is there a book anyone would reccomend? Also, I would like to go somewhere in Florida and learn while diving off of a charter. Any suggestions on who? Thanks in advance.

You can actually take spearfishing lessons through dive shops in Fla. These include spearfishing under actual conditions.

Spearboard.com is an excellent resource for spearfishing, if you can wade through all the religious and political posts.

PM Chad Carney on this board. He's a spearfishing instructor in the St. Pete area, and I've heard nothing but good things about him. Also, Wayward Son is an avid spearfisherman on the Alabama gulf coast. He's not an instructor, but I'm sure he can answer at least most of your questions.

Spend some time on Spearboard and you will learn alot from the success and failure of others. It will save you the money and time to get set up with the right gear for your style of hunting.

Thanks to everyone. Spearboard looks great. I'll spend some time there researching and hopefully get started next year. I'm currently working on my TecDeep course and am taking full cave in February so it may be a few months. But at least now I know where to go to get the info I need. Thanks again.

TennInstr:
I am interested in learning to spearfish and lobster. I've read a little in magazines but know very little about techniques and equipment. Is there a book anyone would reccomend? Also, I would like to go somewhere in Florida and learn while diving off of a charter. Any suggestions on who? Thanks in advance.

We offer spearfishing instruction at Dean's Dive Center in Fort Myers. Brent, the owner, is perhaps the best underwater hunter in the area, as well as a great teacher. Check out his 101 lbs black grouper at http://deansdivecenter.com/Pictures.htm

More info can be found at www.deansdivecenter.com

Give him a call if you are interested.

matts1w:
Brent, the owner, is perhaps the best underwater hunter in the area, as well as a great teacher. Check out his 101 lbs black grouper at http://deansdivecenter.com/Pictures.htm

Brent is the real deal!

C:\Documents and Settings\Chad Carney\My Documents\Times\Argabright, Archives St_ Petersburg Times.htm

Chad

For some reason the link is dead. Here's the story.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAPTAIN'S CORNER; [SOUTH PINELLAS Edition]
St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Feb 4, 2006. pg. 9.C

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Feb 4, 2006
Brent Argabright has joined the short list of spearfishermen who have speared a black grouper weighing 100 pounds or more. On Sunday, Jeff Hunter dropped Argabright on a southwest Florida wreck with a buddy who shot first and speared a big gag. Argabright scanned the wreck from above and spied a much bigger black grouper that retreated parallel to the wreck.

He flanked his prey and fired a freeshaft that hit the grouper, but the huge fish swam on seemingly unaffected until it abruptly made an about-face. While in pursuit, Argabright speed-loaded his spear gun and launched a second freeshaft to the head of the grouper, which dropped tail-first to the sand.

Argabright thought victory was at hand and grabbed the grouper by the gills, but was then slammed against the wreck by the still- live fish. Argabright continued to fight the grouper until it finally began to fade.

Twenty minutes after surfacing, Argabright took photos of the 101- pound prize black grouper, still kicking on the boat deck. The captain and divers commented that both the fish and the spearfisherman looked to be in similar condition.

Chad Carney teaches diving and spearfishing in the Tampa Bay area. Call (727) 423-7775 or e-mail chadcarney@verizon.net.

If you want to learn about spearfishing and laugh at some crazy cajuns read the book Helldivers Rodeo by Humberto Fontova. It mainly about what many believe to be one of the best unknown spear tournaments in the US and the fishing is great I grew up catching everything from small sand trout to big tuna in South Louisiana.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom