I need some cheap slick 'um for gloves.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have some BARE gloves with short gauntlets and due to recent pinky dislocations it is VERY painful to put them on. With the cold water diving I'm about to be doing over the next couple weeks I need a solution to apply to my hands to get them in easier, or just quicker. TIA.

Mitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herb I was thinking the same but I was fearful that the soap in the glove would make it too slippery in the glove itself. Or difficult to manipulate while pulling it on. I guess a spray bottle into the glove. I have some silicone seal treatment that is slippery. I'll try that today.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2012 at 10:32 AM ----------

I just tried the silicone, worked great! I'm startled at how much the fingers hurt just in the glove itself. Ache of aches on the left pinky, wow.

Herb I was thinking the same but I was fearful that the soap in the glove would make it too slippery in the glove itself. Or difficult to manipulate while pulling it on. I guess a spray bottle into the glove. I have some silicone seal treatment that is slippery. I'll try that today.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2012 at 10:32 AM ----------

I just tried the silicone, worked great! I'm startled at how much the fingers hurt just in the glove itself. Ache of aches on the left pinky, wow.

I use the shampoo on my neoprene dry suit seals and have a bit still on my hands and my wet gloves slip right on and then as soon as they are wet the shampoo rinses away I will take a 1/2 bottle and fill it with water and then shake Works great its cheap and does not hurt the neoprene

See if this helps:

I showed this trick to an old friend who skippers the Monterey Express last weekend. It was a big hit so I thought I would share it. Keep a small bucket of soapy water on deck for drysuit divers to dunk their sleeve seals in before inserting or removing their hands. Advantages are:

1. Wrists slide in and out easier than through sweatshirt sleeves
  2. The seals slide on straight and smooth, ready to dive — no folds, creases, or twists.
  3. Seals see far less strain and risk of damage

Try it in your diving locker (or garage), you will understand instantly. You can also use a spray bottle of soapy water (like freedivers use on their wetsuits) for diving off the shore, but a bucket is much easier on a boat. It works just as well on Neoprene, Latex, or Silicon seals. A few drops of any liquid soap in a 2-3 gallon bucket is fine, salt or fresh water. Just don’t use a detergent with additives that can attack Latex like some boat cleaning solutions contain.

I first learned it in Navy deep-sea/heavy gear training 40 years ago. Those suits are made of a very heavy rubberized canvass with thick vulcanized rubber sleeve seals. They are a major struggle to get on and off without lubrication.

That same trick also works for gloves without insulation. Alternatively, wear a separate insulating glove that slides on easily. Do you think that you can get a Lycra glove on comfortably?

Just mix some dollar store hiar conditioner with water at about 50/50 and load it into a pump spray bottle. A few spritzes in each glove will make the slide right on, Same for booties or dragging a wetsuit up over a sweaty shoulder.

Been using it sine 2004 and none of our gear has complained.

Pete

Ok thanks!

Change that ratio of conditioner to water from 50/50 to 1/10 and you have a lube that will dry very quickly to your body heat. Leaving you with a dry hand in a snug glove.

Back
Top Bottom