I need help with a vinyl Coated Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I would just touch up the actual rust spots. I've done some neat old tanks this way and the touch up ends up completely hidden by the boot.

You just have to remember to take the boot off for rinsing/drying and especially storage since the paint you put on will not give the tank anywhere the protection of the old finish.

On Another note about tanks, took the boot off my old 1960's tank in the shop the other day, and there was some rust underneath it. So it was highly recommended to me that I repaint that tank as well.

What exactly do you mean by "protection of the old finish"? If I do end up touching it up, I would rather do the whole tank so it would look better.

UPDATE: After about an hour to an hour and a half or very careful scraping, I finally got the rest of the vinyl off of the tank. There is still some residual stuff in different spots on the tank, but that would not inhibit the tank in any way at all, and would probably come off with some sort or light brushing. I don't plan to worry about any of the stuff left, barely noticeable anyways. Now as long as the tank is still good, I need to decide which valve to use on it. It had an old U.S. Diver's Co. valve on it, no problems in using it as my actual U.S. Diver's Co. tank has one, which works awesome. I do however have a spare valve from another tank that is dead for sure, and that is an OLD Scubapro valve. Both are J-Valve's, and again nothing against them. I will probably just use the U.S. Diver's Co. valve that was on it. Thanks again for all the help, hope o hear form you soon.

Paint

Back
Top Bottom