I need an expert ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, can it be the hero is the woman and the person needing rescuing is a bloke? Far more interesting that way. Not so predictably dated.

The problem actually is air supply. The hero can catch the woman and arrest her descent before she runs out of air, but the problem is the two divers do not have enough gas between them for both to ascend directly to the surface, both breathing normally.

So, the hero quickly convinces her to drown herself. (She trusts him implicitly, and he holds her tenderly while she proceeds to drown herself.) After a brief, dramatic pause, the hero ascends with her, breathing off of her tank until it's empty, and then off of his own until it, too, is empty. The last several hundred feet he manages as an emergency swimming ascent, while still surfacing the woman.

The hero is careful to keep her airway open during the whole damned drowned ascent.

When they *dramatically* broach the surface, the hero has the good fortune to immediately find appropriate floatsam to place the woman on, and proceeds to resuscitate her, all the while imploring her, screaming at her, to "Live! Live!! Live! Damn it, LIVE!" You see, she is his ex-wife, whom he has never really stopped loving, and he still wears his titanium wedding band as proof...

Wait ... this reads familiar ... somehow ...

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

So I was at the theatre last night watching a live play. It wasn't keeping my attention very well so I pulled out my phone and started reading through responses. I got to this one and I laughed out loud ... during a serious scene in the play. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :blush:

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 03:02 PM ----------

Your help was inspiring! My fingers are sore from typing so furiously all day but the scene is finished and I am pleased...though I am always pleased immediately after I write a scene. It isn't until about a week later when I go back and read over it that I go through and change just about everything.

But thank you for your help and your ideas. (I may just have to use a few more of your ideas on future stories.) :D

Just when the rescue attempt seems to fail, and the rescuer must let go of his/her love, and swim the last desperate 100ft to surface alone, a freediver appears... gliding soundless through the water.

You'll get the desperate attempt, and the failure, with all its emotional and mental distress, and then an unexpected solution.

If you depict well what goes on in the minds (of both the rescuer and and the victim), you'll have a master piece.

Just when the rescue attempt seems to fail, and the rescuer must let go of his/her love, and swim the last desperate 100ft to surface alone, a freediver appears... gliding soundless through the water.

You'll get the desperate attempt, and the failure, with all its emotional and mental distress, and then an unexpected solution.

If you depict well what goes on in the minds (of both the rescuer and and the victim), you'll have a master piece.

Sorry--critics will jump all over that as a deus ex machina.

The problem actually is air supply. The hero can catch the woman and arrest her descent before she runs out of air, but the problem is the two divers do not have enough gas between them for both to ascend directly to the surface, both breathing normally.

So, the hero quickly convinces her to drown herself. (She trusts him implicitly, and he holds her tenderly while she proceeds to drown herself.) After a brief, dramatic pause, the hero ascends with her, breathing off of her tank until it's empty, and then off of his own until it, too, is empty. The last several hundred feet he manages as an emergency swimming ascent, while still surfacing the woman.

The hero is careful to keep her airway open during the whole damned drowned ascent.

When they *dramatically* broach the surface, the hero has the good fortune to immediately find appropriate flotsam to drag the woman upon, and proceeds to resuscitate her, all the while imploring her, screaming at her, to "Live! Live!! Live! Damn it, LIVE!" You see, she is his ex-wife, whom he has never really stopped loving, and he still wears his titanium wedding band as proof...

Wait ... this reads familiar ... somehow ...

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

LOL : right out of "The Abyss" but I'm sure it was her idea not his.

I actally like the "Slamfire's" scenerio best.

Mike D

---------- Post added November 1st, 2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

I have near miss for you. I don't know if youcan use it?
This actually happened. (I'm a retired instuctor btw)
Situation is a night dive, on a wreck, 85 feet max depth. We didn't know any of the other divers.
My buddy (also an Instructor) & I heard of the dive charter with a few seats still available.
We were very familiar with this wreck, having used it for advanced diver training dives for many courses.
The wreck has a permanent anchor & mooring line to protect it from anchor damage.
All divers were advanced certified.
We were both wearing doubles. A relaxing night dive we thought. We were first down, which was our intent.
I tied my strobe to the down line, about 10 feet above the wreck & turned it on. We followed the jump line to the wreck, & started around.
We stayed at the deck level & never went below 80 ft. We were on our second lap around her at about 25 minutes.
Two divers approached us quickly from across the wreck, they had seen our bright 50 watt cannister lights.
They showed us their pressure gauges, one at 1000 psi, the other at 750. It was obvious by their hand motions they were lost & couldn't find the up line.
They signaled UP.
Our doubles still had plenty of air.
We each took one of the divers as a buddy & handed them our 7 ft long hose.
After a a bit they calmed down & one signaled which way? (by pointing left & right with crossed hands).
I had them cover their lights & we covered ours, after a few seconds of adjustment we could see the strobe flashing way at the point where I tied it off.
Made our way to the up line, retrieved my stobe checked to see there were no other dive lights on the wreck.
We made a nice slow 30/ft min ascent, with 3 minute safety stop at 15 ft.

Turns out these two had just finished their advanced diver course the weekend before, & they hadn't dived this wreck before.
This was night dive #2 for them. Sheesh!
We lit into them about being familiar with a sight before attempting a night dive on it, gaining experience progressively , which was an easy sell, as you can well imagine.

Mike D

Last edited:
FYI: Another novel just hit Amazon. Still working on the diving story, getting there, but if you are in to Young Adult Fiction, my most recently published book was in the top 100 top selling for about a week. That is always exciting!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Wanted to update on this very old post. Wet part 1 is now live on Amazon. I so appreciate everyone for your help. I did shy away from the scene from Abyss--so overdone nowadays--ya know. Most of the people--ahem--women who read this will know nothing about diving, but I did have a couple of people in the know read through the scene in question. I've been given a thumbs up. I hope the book continues to follow that trend, and the 5 star reviews keep coming.

Again, thanks for your help and your ideas.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom