I need a wrist mount (BT or computer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone.

I'm moving away from my AI console (Wisdom 2) and I want to get something on my wrist.

Recreational diving (for now). I do want to take some type of tech course in the future (probably fundamentals) so the wrist mount must be compliant with that.

For the moment I only need air and nitrox if i go with a computer. I almost pulled the trigger on a UWATEC D330m bottom timer but I'm wondering if I should get something that doubles as a computer but can go into gauge mode for future use. I'd like to spend less then $500. I don't really want wireless AI. I've searched the current threads and most of the recommendations are fairly out of date.

Suggestions?

Out of date? This comes up at least weekly. Search for "Wrist mount tech computer" or similar there is a lot of good info on the subject. A good place to start is here:

Dive Computers and Accessories - Dive Gear Express

In addition to the above look at Suunto, the Vyper is a nice, cheapish computer and has gauge mode. Hollis, Liquivision, and Shearwater all make nice "tech" compatible computers although Liquivision and Shearwater may be out of your price range. Scubapro make a reasonably priced mixed gas, gauge mode computer, the Aladin 2G.

Unless tech diving is in your imminent future I'd just buy what need now as its quite likely in a year or two something new and possibly cheaper will be available.

But if i was given a $1000 and told i must buy a computer right now id buy a Shearwater Petrel. Good luck with your search, I'm not a tech diver so have no idea what the requirements are if any but I'm sure some "techies" will be along shortly.

Out of date? This comes up at least weekly. Search for "Wrist mount tech computer" or similar there is a lot of good info on the subject. A good place to start is here:

Dive Computers and Accessories - Dive Gear Express

In addition to the above look at Suunto, the Vyper is a nice, cheapish computer and has gauge mode. Hollis, Liquivision, and Shearwater all make nice "tech" compatible computers although Liquivision and Shearwater may be out of your price range. Scubapro make a reasonably priced mixed gas, gauge mode computer, the Aladin 2G.

Unless tech diving is in your imminent future I'd just buy what need now as its quite likely in a year or two something new and possibly cheaper will be available.

But if i was given a $1000 and told i must buy a computer right now id buy a Shearwater Petrel. Good luck with your search, I'm not a tech diver so have no idea what the requirements are if any but I'm sure some "techies" will be along shortly.

I say out of date because a majority of the threads that I found were from 2009,10 and 11. Many new products are out now. Including a newer suunto. I Saw the dive gear express site has the DG03 for 249 but it looks like hollis pulled it from their current line up. I also read that there were problems with it. I'm wondering why hollis still has the DG02 as a current product and the DG03 is discontinued. Anyway i'm not as interested in that one as I am the Zen bottom timer or the UWATEC 330. I'm also seeing some older buzz about the Aladin 2G being a fairly good 2 gas computer and a bottom timer. The main difference between the bottom timers from UWATEC is that they give an avg depth vs something like the vyper which does not.

I'd say Petrel, which is both a BT and a great tech computer, but you're not going to find one for less than $800 and the $950 MSRP is much more common than a deal. Maybe a $700 used Predator is in your budget? It's still going to be a better computer than whatever new model of junk Suunto or anyone else has put out for 2013, and I'm not impressed with what I've seen from Hollis in terms of reliability or support.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the H-W Frog, and that's closer to your price range.

It's still going to be a better computer than whatever new model of junk Suunto or anyone else has put out for 2013, and I'm not impressed with what I've seen from Hollis in terms of reliability or support.

Hi Dr. Lecter:

You have always expressed sharp criticism for the mainstream brand of dive computers, especially he Suunto and Scubapro. What features do you dislike about these dive computers, which I believe are targeted more toward the recreational divers. Just want to pick your thoughts. Might help our other members make a more informed decision.

In general, they are poorly thought-out pieces of old technology that are neither user-friendly nor well-supported. The number of threads on SB where someone can't get basic parts/service for their 1, 2, or 3 yearold Suunto/Oceanic/Mares/Scubapro/etc. are leigon.

Beyond that, they're not very good dive computers: read the manual for an Atomic Cobalt or a Shearwater sometime (stick to the OC only mode for Shearwater, because while it's well-designed, there's nothing simple about the Closed Circuit mode). I think you'd agree these manuals are short, easy to read, and intuitive -- because they're explaning the workings of a dive computer with a well-designed user interface.

Then go read the manuals for some of the "full-featured" recreational computers like the Suunto Vyper or the Scubapro Galileo Luna. They have a lot of overly-complicated features (see, e.g., the alarms on a Vyper, or the picture maps on a Luna), navigating their menus and setting options requires having the manual in front of you and flipping around in it constantly, and their attempts to idiot-proof their products lead to weird limits like deco violation lockouts and the following stupidity from the Suunto Vyper's manual:

The Error mode results from omitted decompression, for example, when you stay above the ceiling for more than three minutes. During this three-minute period the Er warning is shown and the audible alarm beeps. After this, the dive computer enters a permanent Error mode. The instrument will continue to function normally if you descend below the ceiling within this three-minute period. When the dive computer is in the permanent Error mode, only the Er warning is shown in the center window. The dive computer does not show times for ascent or stops. However, all the other displays function as before to provide information for ascent. You must immediately ascend to a depth of 3 to 6 m/10 to 20 ft and remain at this depth until air supply limitations require you to surface.

I don't know who thought that depriving a diver of best-estimate deco schedule information (likely already in an emergency situation beyond their training if they're using this computer on a deco dive) because they were 1' above a ceiling for 3 minutes was a good idea, but they should be taken out back and shot. As an aside, in large part I think the complexity and lousy UI is driven by the weird 1990s screen tech most of these use. You can only cram so much stuff into a UI based on those screens, and it show when you look at the graphics in the manuals. Again, compare that to the graphical UI for a Cobalt, Petrel, or Predator.

In sum, the appeal to recreational divers of these computers seems to be in their mass-marketing, lack of scary 'technical features' (which are probably simpler to understand than most of the features in the recreational computers (see, e.g., gradient factors), and supposedly helpful recreational features that are actually implemented in a messy, difficult to use way. In contrast, getting something like a Petrel won't cost much more (a used Predator will probably be less and still get good support from Shearwater) and will offer them a simpler, more flexible, easier to use and understand computer. This applies to obvious use while diving situations (e.g., jump in with nitrox 36 but realize at 10' your computer is still set for air), but also to things like dive logging. Read through the manual for the average Suunto or Scubapro computer and tell me how hard downloading a dive or uploading a firmware upgrade looks--do it on a Shearwater and it takes a minute or two using built-in Bluetooth.

These things aren't all junk: some are cheap enough that they fill an important niche, like the Zoop. But things like the D6i cost almost as much as a Petrel and deliver almost as little as a Vyper. The Luna is one of the worse offenders in the 'high price for a terrible, complicated, old tech computer' category, IMO. It's the Ti-89 graphing calculator of dive computers, except that it has an IR interface (1990's Apple called, they want their soon-to-be abandoned tech back).

This debate is not unlike the push of backplate & wing rigs into the mainstream BCD market. It's not just that these are better pieces of gear for technical diving...they're generally better pieces of gear for diving, period. Do you have to have one? Hell no, nor do you need a fancy BCD or recreational mainstream computer. And if there was a big price difference, you wouldn't see this kind of recommendation as much. But all too often you see newer divers thinking of dropping $500, $600, $700 on a shiny new options out the wazoo BCD rig or $600, $700, $900 on some crappy Suunto or Scubapro wrist computer...when for that much or a couple hundred less, they could have a better designed, better built piece of gear that does more for them as divers.

So here's a question: do I need anything more then the scubapro bottom timer and an spg? I'm sure that the petrel is awesome but for a thousand bucks I could get a bottom timer, small can light and the spg.

I don't know: do you know how to plan and execute your dives using just a BT, and actually want to do that for all your dives? If so, you don't need anything else. In fact, you don't even need the BT: just a dive watch and a depth gage.

Again, I don't want to push a $1200 Cobalt, a $950 Petrel, or even a $700 used Predator on someone looking to spend $200 or $300 on a basic computer unless they're planning on going tech in a year or two. And maybe not even then: the Zoop makes a decent gage backup if that's what they'd need. But when they start thinking of getting something that costs almost as much as a Petrel but belongs in a trash bin rather than a display case (Luna), I think someone should say 'Hey, there's a much better option for you if that's what you're looking to spend.'

I don't know: do you know how to plan and execute your dives using just a BT, and actually want to do that for all your dives? If so, you don't need anything else. In fact, you don't even need the BT: just a dive watch and a depth gage. '

Yea I better know how to do it with an RDP or I should have my c-card yanked!!!

---------- Post added July 27th, 2013 at 02:17 PM ----------

I don't know: do you know how to plan and execute your dives using just a BT, and actually want to do that for all your dives? If so, you don't need anything else. In fact, you don't even need the BT: just a dive watch and a depth gage.

Again, I don't want to push a $1200 Cobalt, a $950 Petrel, or even a $700 used Predator on someone looking to spend $200 or $300 on a basic computer unless they're planning on going tech in a year or two. And maybe not even then: the Zoop makes a decent gage backup if that's what they'd need. But when they start thinking of getting something that costs almost as much as a Petrel but belongs in a trash bin rather than a display case (Luna), I think someone should say 'Hey, there's a much better option for you if that's what you're looking to spend.'

Tell me what makes you like the zoop so much. It doesn't have a gauge mode that know of. I would get that one if it did.

So here's a question: do I need anything more then the scubapro bottom timer and an spg? I'm sure that the petrel is awesome but for a thousand bucks I could get a bottom timer, small can light and the spg.

No, you really don't. Unless you've got a mound of money that's a bit lumpy and you're trying to smooth it out, get the Uwatec, spend the leftovers on scuba diving instead of trinkets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom