I need a recommendation for a warm stretchy vest/hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Only back from SCUBA vacation 1 week and already having withdraws. It's time to check out the cold N California water. Problem is I get cold in the tropics, so this may be amusing :D.

To start with, I'll just rent a 7mm wetsuit to see if I'm up to cold water - low vis diving. I would like to buy a comfortable, very stretchy, very warm vest & hood combo to wear underneith. Should it also be 7mm?

It's best if it doesn't cost a fortune, as I am a university student.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I got a Henderson Hyperstretch 5/3 hooded vest that was pretty good with a 7mm wetsuit diving Catalina earlier this month. One of the advantages is that you are less likely to get that "coldwater leak" down your neck and back vs. just a wetsuit and hood.

I will say that, even with the "flow vent" on the top of the hood, there is just too much fabric on the top of mine (think Dan Aykroyd), despite being dead on to their measurement chart for a Large. I'm looking into how much a small bit of neoprene tailoring would cost.

The Hyperstrech is more stretch and slightly less warm than the Gold Core, the Gold Core is harder to get on and off when wet.

I purchased a Bare Arctic 7mm wetsuit and the matching 7mm hooded vest for diving up here in the PNW. It is very warm as I have been down to 46 and snowing and been warm enough.

Thanks but is 3mm warm enough?

That is something that will depend on how good the base wetsuit is, what the water temp is, depth and duration of dive, and your own tolerance. I can say that for me, a 3mm vest w/ a 5mm attached hood (Henderson Hyperflex) was a huge improvement over just a hood with my 7mm wetsuit. I wear the hooded vest over the wetsuit, which keeps almost all water out of my wetsuit. I think the extra warmth comes from the lack of water entry more so than the 3mm layer itself, but I stay toasty on 1 hour dives in 52 degree water. Still not the same as diving dry, but if you are on a budget, it might be the way to go. Like others have said, look for something stretchy as that will make them way easier to don/doff.

Mike

7mm is the minimum for a hood around here. I have seen people double stack their hoods even. A hooded vest works well, and they are typically 3mm for the body and 7mm for the hood part. I have seen a one piece Aqua Lung suit that was an 8mm. That might be warm enough for some people. If you can find a rental suit that fits and get two long dives in, at least then you will know whether you can tolerate a wetsuit or not.

Most of the people who dive often use one of Otter Bays 12mm hoods. They also use drysuits. "The best way to save money on a wetsuit is to buy a drysuit".

"SB Challenge
Motivating to dive in the local cold water"

Oh and our water is NOT cold, it is chilly :) So really there is no excuse not to dive local. Sarah, Michelle, along with others often organize meet and great dives in Monterey. Many words of encouragement would be offered there.

Thanks but is 3mm warm enough?

The vest is 3mm but the hood can be 3,5 or 7mm. with the merino lining, i feel they are miles ahead of all others. yes I'm a pinnacle fan.

I have an XS Scuba pyro stretch hooded vest that is great... Not over priced either...

Phil

I have the Pinnacle merino 3mm hood/vest. I wore it under a 5mm for a 50' dive at 50 degrees. I kept me warm enough though I was getting a little chilly for the second dive. I am pretty cold tolerant though, so YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom