I need a pronounciation lesson please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kronos13

Registered
Reaction score
I recently completed my OW and have been looking around at the various web sites, magazines and forums, gathering info, trying to decide what gear I would like to buy.
The problem I'm having is I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing the names of some of the manufacturers correctly.
So that I don't sound like a complete idiot in conversation with other divers or at the LDS, I was wondering if some of you might be willing to help me out. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs it. :)

Here's my short list. I'm sure there will be more later.
Mares - is it Mars or Mar-is or Marries or something else?
Dacor - is it a long "a" like Day-cor or short or maybe Dack-or?
Beuchat - Bow-chat or Boo-chat?
Halcyon - I think it's Hal-see-on. Am I right?
DIR - is it separate letters D-I-R or Dir?
GUI - G-U-I or Gooey?

So you see my quandry. And these are just the ones the I can think of right now.
Any help would be... um... helpful.

Thanks,
Dave

:stupid:

Kronos,
Since my dad was an English teacher, I guess I'm qualified. Or not. First off, its proNUNciation.

Mares- mah-rays
Dacor- Day core (Davis Corporation)
Beuchat- boo-shah
Halcyon- hal-see-on
DIR and GUE, say the letters

And no matter what dubya says, it's nu-clee-ar.

Neil

Thanks Neil,

At least I had two of them right. :D

Dave

ps - I had it as NUN and my wife (a 2nd grade teacher) told me it was NOUN. I shall have a few words with her in the morning.

:argue:

Never heard of Beuchat but if it is French I would not even begin to think how it pronounced phonetically - my guess would be Bow-Sha which would be Bow as in bow and arrow not as in bow of the boat!!!

Then you see I would say Mares = Mar-rees

You say tom-ate-o, I say tom-ar-toe

I don't think people will get too upset if you get it slightly (I was going to say wrong but I'll go for) different

Jonathan

Jonathan once bubbled...
You say tom-ate-o, I say tom-ar-toe
Jonathan

Personally I say toemater
and its
pa-tater

Mark

Hi

GUI - Either G-U-I or Gooey is OK (Never GUI/Gooey 'Interface')

DIR - Surely there must be a specific, laid down in stone pronunciation of this with everybody using exactly the same phrasing and intonation, at the same pitch and in the same key!

Ian

Don't forget...

HAR eh bull (horrible)

Nobody gets that one correct!

:(

Back
Top Bottom