i need a camcorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigger lover

Registered
Reaction score
i want to get a camcorder ad housing as i want to start videography. but im on a limited budget. i was wondering anyone know of a good website where i can get a digital camcorder and housing. thanks

Budget and Underwater Videography really can't be in the same sentence.

You can try ebay. Really, most housings are specific to individual cameras. If you can find a SONY SPK-TRB housing which they don't make anymore, it works with MANY sony cameras, as long as they have the LAN-C remote control jack.

trigger lover:
i want to get a camcorder ad housing as i want to start videography. but im on a limited budget. i was wondering anyone know of a good website where i can get a digital camcorder and housing. thanks

This really depends on a lot of questions, how limited a budget, what are you looking for (small digital video camera, large digital video camera) what sort of quality, where are you looking to use it (20 feet, 100 feet, 300 feet?) etc etc..

Give some ideas of what you are looking for and what you have to deal with and maybe people can make suggestions

trigger lover:
Hey I have a good deal on a slightly used light and motion mako housing with monitor back. The back of the housing is like a small tv screen...It's Aluminum...really nice. You will need to have a sony pc 110 or 115 camera....you can find those cameras used. call me if you want to talk more or PM me....Hal

A buddy of mine and I have been working on lights and a video housing, it is all budget stuff and will work good for the buck comparison. If you are handy and like building your own stuff you can build a housing for around $200 that will go as deep as you can I am sure.

seavonj:
A buddy of mine and I have been working on lights and a video housing, it is all budget stuff and will work good for the buck comparison. If you are handy and like building your own stuff you can build a housing for around $200 that will go as deep as you can I am sure.

And... It will only cost you a few hundred bucks to replace your camera if you go too deep. right?

I bought my UW housing on Ebay last year. Just do some research on it before you buy.

Here's one I just found on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-MPK-M8-UND...7550959345QQcategoryZ4703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JamesD:
This really depends on a lot of questions, how limited a budget, what are you looking for (small digital video camera, large digital video camera) what sort of quality, where are you looking to use it (20 feet, 100 feet, 300 feet?) etc etc..

Give some ideas of what you are looking for and what you have to deal with and maybe people can make suggestions

well,
im not looking for something too flashy. a small digital one will do. going to use it no more than 20-25feet. quality, around 3 mega pixels or even 4. budget, between $400-£600. ive looked at variouse housings and they are quite expensive, but they are for large cameras. im really looking for a small digital camcorder.

thanks

trigger lover:
well,
im not looking for something too flashy. a small digital one will do. going to use it no more than 20-25feet. quality, around 3 mega pixels or even 4. budget, between $400-£600. ive looked at variouse housings and they are quite expensive, but they are for large cameras. im really looking for a small digital camcorder.

thanks

If you're only going to film 20-25ft deep, most mini-dv camcorders should do fine, but you should get a red filter to fit either the camcorder or housing depending on which housing you get.

The most basic housings are nothing more than sealed tubes. You turn on the camcorder, hit record, and insert it into the housing. You have no controls at all. Housings like this are pretty cheap. There is a sticky at the top of this section that lists links to housing manufacturers websites.

I'm not sure if your quality reference to 3 or 4 megapixels is meant for video or digital still pictures. In either case, your budget is too low, especially if you meant video. Take a look at the "show me your best dive video" post for an idea of the range of quality video you can expect. The better looking footage is usually shot with higher quality camcorders.

Why would a mini dv be better for 20-25 ft, than say 50-75 feet?
(of course, that is assuming you have lights for deeper than 50')

Are you saying that Mini DV cameras aren't that good? and cheap?

howarde:
Why would a mini dv be better for 20-25 ft, than say 50-75 feet?
(of course, that is assuming you have lights for deeper than 50')

Are you saying that Mini DV cameras aren't that good? and cheap?

No, what I meant was at shallow depths such as 20-25ft., pretty much any mini-dv camcorder will do fine.

As you go deeper you need a mini-dv camcorder that works better in low light and has better coloring. A camcorder and housing that allows manual white balance is also a big plus when shooting at deeper depths.

I use a Sony TRV900 mini-dv camcorder. I use manual white balance on most shots and rarely use lights during the day for medium and wide angle shooting.

I am just a hobbyist and this is just my opionion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom